New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Presentation for the Nov. 24 th meeting @ OUR NEW LOCATION

Started by charlie, November 04, 2008, 09:57:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlie

OVAS is very pleased to be hosting Mr. Frank Aguirre, Frank will be delivering a fantastic presentation which cover reproduction of both freshwater & saltwater fish, freshwater shrimp will be touched on too, folks this is going to be a interesting presentation, so mark it on your callender - Nov 24th @ 7.00 PM
Info on our new Location can be found in this thread
http://ovas.ca/index.php?topic=31696.msg203741;topicseen#new

Fish reproduction is perhaps one of the most popular topics and perhaps the challenge that keeps going this hobby of ours.
In this presentation all aspects of fish breeding including Marine fish are discussed, from foods to tricks to mimic the changes on the environment that triggers the stimulus of reproduction in fish.
Also there is a brief mention of fresh water shrimps reproduction

Frank Aguirre has been a tropical fish enthusiast since the age of five. He began by helping his mother raise pond goldfish in his homeland of Mexico. He set up his first aquarium at age seven. By the age of ten, he became an assistant at a small aquarium shop. During his teenage years, he learned the techniques and "secrets" of breeding from master breeders in Mexico City.
In preparation for his career choice as a biologist, he went to the Polytechnic College in Mexico to study aquaculture. He then pursued a bachelor's degree in Biology. His ultimate academic goal is to obtain a Masters Degree in Ichthyology at Guelph University.
His life has been dedicated entirely to the study of fishes, with particular emphasis on reproduction and genetics. After publishing many papers and articles in a variety of magazines, Frank's next project, a book on tropical fish is a logical step.
His repertoire varies widely in topic, ranging from the common to the unusual. As the president of Acuaprof Inc. Frank is now fully integrated in to the aquarium business and supporting the hobby trough his activities as member of the Canadian Association of aquarium Clubs CAOAC.

See you all out on Monday Nov 24 th @ 7.00PM , please note we are now at our new location( see link above)
P.S. Frank is one of the first , if not the first to breed the wild Altum Angel .

[attachment deleted by admin]

fischkopp

Sounds like this is going to be another interesting presentation! I am looking forward to it :)
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

Vizerdrix

Happy now Ross? ;)

This sounds fantastic Errol!  Thanks for bringing in such interesting speakers!  Can't wait to find out what else is coming!

RossW

Quote from: Vizerdrix on November 04, 2008, 03:10:18 PM
Happy now Ross? ;)

I was... until you said the following which got me thinking about all of the other presentations this year and what they might be about ;D

Quote from: Vizerdrix on November 04, 2008, 03:10:18 PM
Can't wait to find out what else is coming!

dan2x38

Sounds great Charlie looking forward it too. Hopefully I can learn enough to kick off some of my breeding projects?
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Basile

That woud be my first meeting, Looking foreward to it. Someone said that at the end an auction is held , is that true?

garnpet

Our mini auctions are held monthly except during the summer and the months of December (Christmas Party) and February (Giant Auction is in early March).

http://ovas.ca/index.php?topic=31966.0
1 fish, 2 fish, <°{{{><  , <°{{{><  

charlie

Big thank you to Frank for taking the time to share his passion with our members, he has promised to return for more  ;).

WOW

dan2x38

Excellent presentation! One of the best for sure. Nice way to end 2008. Be great to have him come back. Good choice Charlie... thanks.
Voltaire:

smalltownfan

Interesting topic and a great speaker. The drive home sucked though, took me 1:05 to get to Russell and took my son 1:45 to get to Casselman. Hwy 417 was in really bad shape.
FW Nano's 5g & 15g
Inverts & Micro fish

washefuzzy

Quote from: charlie on November 24, 2008, 10:45:54 PM
Big thank you to Frank for taking the time to share his passion with our members, he has promised to return for more  ;).

WOW

Frank just wants more of Swiss  Chalet.   ;D

I really enjoyed his presentation. Next time bring him in for the day! He has so much to say and all worth listening to. Way to go Charlie

Nerine

I have to agree with Joyce!! That time slot was WAY too short!!! There was still more to hear!!

I really enjoyed the meeting!

drive home wasn't too bad...the 417 east was ok... at least up to St Laurent!
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

bitterman

It was so great to hear all this great information... and confirm I'm doing som many things right....... The tip on light timing to trigure breeding was great also.

Thanks,
   Bruce

RoxyDog

Yep, great presentation!  He's coming back again isn't he?  :)
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

bitterman

At supper he mentioned so wonderfull ribs he makes with Mayan spices and about cooking for some of us ;)

I hope he comes back!

B.

dan2x38

Quote from: bitterman on November 25, 2008, 09:14:00 AM
At supper he mentioned so wonderfull ribs he makes with Mayan spices and about cooking for some of us ;)

I hope he comes back!

B.

More Fish talk from Frankie and ribs... WOW I am in! I'd buy a rack or 2 to have him cook them up. Would love to see his set-ups. Talk about a road trip idea.
Voltaire:

Vizerdrix

Absolutely fantastic presentation, and I was sorry to have to let him go so early this morning (I hosted him at my place last night).  So much information!

Frank, I am so glad you will be coming back!  You made the presentation so interesting, and your passion for the topic is so apparent!  Great job!!!

fischkopp

This was an interesting presentation, a lot of commonly know things were put into a new light that make a lot of sense. Now if find myself thinking about how to install a 1000+ gal water tank into the apartment to age water without my having my GF noticing it ...  ::) ;D
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

Basile

It was my first meeting and it was great. The presenter was very interesting and i enjoyed it till the end, being a salwater aquarist. I would of loved to buy some macroalgae but none where on sale, bummer. None the less loved it. Seeya nex time.

PS: if any have algae for sale connect buy for now.