Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

OVAS Library?

Started by washefuzzy, November 04, 2008, 08:53:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

washefuzzy

What books would you like to see OVAS Library carry?
Inquiring minds would like to know.  :)

Joyce Landry
OVAS Librarian

davemaria

not really about fishies but reptiles would be nice.

dan2x38

But we are an aquarium club aquatic fish & plants...
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

washefuzzy

Right now I just want to here all ideas.  :)

Joyce Landry
OVAS Librarian

dan2x38

Some books on planted tanks especially basic set-ups there are a lot of questions on this topic. Of course hi-tech tanks too
Voltaire:

Nerine

no reptile books please! this isn't the reptile club!

I agree with Dan...books on planted tanks! Setting up species tanks, DIY info...

Maybe some updated general info books as well....the books we have on general info and id are great and all...but the platties/guppies and goldfish don't really look like that anymore ;) and some have had their names changed haha
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

mseguin

I believe we have Ad Konings' book on Malawi cichlids in the wild, but not the Tangyanikan, both are gorgeous books.

dan2x38

What about dwarf cichlids: Apistos, Rams, West African
Voltaire:

markw

I don't know if this is the proper place to post this, but I have several good books that I would like to donate to the club. Of course they are all Cichlid books, and they are all in mint condition.
They are African Cichlids of Lake Malawi and Tanganyika by Dr. Axelrod and Burgess (Tenth Edition), A Fishkeepers Guide to African Cichlids by Dr. Paul Loiselle, and Cichlids " A complete Owner's Manual.

As Matt mentioned Ad Konings books on Lake Tanganyika are excellent reference books as well as "Coffee Table" material. I have them, but not quite ready to part with them yet. They are quite expensive but well worth it with so many colour pics.

The other book that is now available and is absolutely amazing is Tanganyika "Africa's Inland Sea" by Angel Fitor.
It is a new release and is a collection of underwater pics from the Lake done in an incredible manner. He is a world famous nature photographer who has collected some spectacular pics.

If the club is interested in the books I have to offer, please let me know.

fischkopp

Mark, that is a very generous offer.  :)

Good book's for South American dwarf cichlids are "Cichlid Atlas 1 & 2" by Uwe Roemer - while not always right or exact it is the most comprehensive literature for apisto & co. Another one is "South American Dwarf Cichlids" by Hans J. Mayland und Dieter Bork. I have them and can recommend them.

A good reference for aquatic horticulturists is Kasselmann's "Aquarium Plants".

Books I don't have, but I am interested in are the ones from Takashi Amano like "Nature Aquarium" and co.
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

washefuzzy

Quote from: markw on November 05, 2008, 08:38:29 AM
I don't know if this is the proper place to post this, but I have several good books that I would like to donate to the club. Of course they are all Cichlid books, and they are all in mint condition.
They are African Cichlids of Lake Malawi and Tanganyika by Dr. Axelrod and Burgess (Tenth Edition), A Fishkeepers Guide to African Cichlids by Dr. Paul Loiselle, and Cichlids " A complete Owner's Manual.

As Matt mentioned Ad Konings books on Lake Tanganyika are excellent reference books as well as "Coffee Table" material. I have them, but not quite ready to part with them yet. They are quite expensive but well worth it with so many colour pics.

The other book that is now available and is absolutely amazing is Tanganyika "Africa's Inland Sea" by Angel Fitor.
It is a new release and is a collection of underwater pics from the Lake done in an incredible manner. He is a world famous nature photographer who has collected some spectacular pics.

If the club is interested in the books I have to offer, please let me know.

Mark that is great we would love to accept your donations. PM sent.

mseguin

I think we have the Kasselam book don't we?
The Aqualog`books are good references for apistos, cories, plecos, etc

fischkopp

Quote from: mseguin on November 05, 2008, 11:19:40 AM

Got that one, great pictures for sure.  :)
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

washefuzzy

washefuzzy

Yes We have the Kasselmann "Aquarium Plants" book.