Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Will it hold???

Started by shutterbuggy, December 22, 2008, 06:40:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shutterbuggy

So I've been mulling over upgrading my tank for some time.  I currently have a 110 gal with about 150+ lbs of live rock in my livingroom.  I was thinking that if I were to upgrade, I would do a 220 gal, but that leads me to my question.  I really don't know much about how much a floor can hold with regards to the weight of a tank.  Researching I cam across an estimate that a 220 gallon with water would weigh about 2000lbs before rock.  So for the sake of argument, I will say that it will weigh about 2500lbs when fully assembled.  This may sound like a dumb question but will my floor hold that massive weight?  It would be by a load bearing wall above the basement where the house jacks are (I think that is what they are called....you know the ugly metal poles in the basement...) Also, my floor joists are a foot apart, instead of the standard 16" (or so I am told) so I guess that is a good thing.  What do you guys and gals think??

Thanks again!

Becky

FishPassion

If you are putting your tank on the load bearing wall you should be fine but, I would still put an extra number of posts or even 4x4s are fine too directly under the area where the tank is floor space permitting. This will absorb any of the "bounce" that you "may" encounter when walking near that area and provide support for the tank as well. It sounds as tho your home is newer and and the fact that your floor joists are 12 inches apart is great must have been an upgrade for some reason. There is nothing more annoying and cause for nervousness than walking past a tank and seeing some water motion from floor bounce. My 2 cents worth :)
80 corner diamond
110 short
40 cube

shutterbuggy

Thanks for your response.  You have put my mind at ease!