Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Cup Coral

Started by fishboy, December 23, 2008, 11:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishboy

Anyone feed their cup coral ?

Funkmotor

groupie02

Funkmotor

Seriously, now, if you're talking about Tubastraea or something similar they must be fed or they will die.

When you first get them, they will be quite thin and you will be able to see the individual cups.  When I got mine I put it into a bucket of water (salt water from the tank, of course) almost every night for 2 weeks and put in enough mysis to let the Tubastraea completely stuff itself silly.  Just swish the water about now and then to let the coral catch some more, and when done pick it up, quick swish, then back in the tank.  (Whole process take 60-90 minutes.)

All the uneaten mysis then doesn't end up in your tank, and you get a small daily water change.

Once it gets back to health, it will expand all by itself around feeding time.  I feed mine mysis with a Kent "AquaDose" probe...like a looooong turkey baster...that I hollowed out at the end a bit more with a drill bit to be able to feed mysis with it...so I don't take my coral out any more.

You can't even see the cups on mine any more, and I've seen some real growth over the last year.  Once you start seeing new buds, you know you're doing well.  Mine is positively fat.

They do need to eat a lot, though, so a big skimmer is a must.  :o

Hope that helps.