Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

shrimp ID

Started by ealeen, December 27, 2008, 08:04:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ealeen

I have tiny shrimps in my tank.  Translucent.  They're maybe about a half centimeter long.  I first noticed them in a "cave" in my LR mostly only under the actinic lights but now I can see them normally and in other parts of my tank.  I'm assuming they're not fry as I only have one cleaner shrimp who was added to my tank at the beginning of october. 
Would these be mysis shrimp? and if so should i do anything to take care of them? And what eats them?
I've been trying to get some info but I haven't had much luck.  If anyone knows a good site or anything thanks

RossW

They sound like they may be amphipods.  They are good thing to have, the more the merrier.

Funkmotor

They could certainly be mysis or some other variety of small shrimp.  If they look like little shrimp and they are free-swimming, then that's what they are.  I've got lots in my tank.

Amphipods look different...like little bugs, to me...and they almost never leave the surface of the rocks.  (I've got lots of these, too.)

ealeen

Ya thanks I think they're just a small variety of shrimp as I have an abundance of amphipods as well. 
I'm guessing they're probably beneficial in a similar way to the copepods and amphipods. 
Thanks