Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

decreasing salinity

Started by yaserrahim, December 30, 2008, 05:34:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yaserrahim

As the topic says, what would be fastest, yet most efficient way to decrease salinity if it is slightly high?

groan

I would just remove water and add ro water, allow to sit for 20 mins and test.
repeat.

yellowtang

keep in mind.....what you consider high salinity levels.
I ve seen tanks at 1.o27 and 1.o28 thriving very well.
normally it would be 1.o20 to 1.o23..........
I keep mine at 1.o25 and is doing well all levels are normal.
to decrease levels, top up with RO water if you keep loosing
water to evaporation.
120g REEF Upgrading to a 180g soon
38G REEF

Funkmotor

Natural Sea Water has (on average) a salinity of 35ppt, which is 1.026.  1.024-1.027 is pretty much the natural range you will find on a reef, so 1.026 is a good target that duplicates natural conditions.

If your tank evaporates enough to raise salinity beyond 1.027 between top offs, however, you should run lower to be sure you don't go too high.  (With an auto-topoff this is made much easier to manage.)

Anyway, just thought I should throw that out there.

groupie02

and if you have livestock in your tank, do not decrease your salinity too quickly.

RossW

Quote from: groupie02 on December 31, 2008, 11:54:49 AM
and if you have livestock in your tank, do not decrease your salinity too quickly.

I thought you could drop salinity quickly, but had to raise very slow.  I once dropped salinity from 1.026 to 1.009 in a few hours but raised it no more than 0.002/day.

groupie02

you could be right Ross but I wouldn't chance it without more research.

yaserrahim

As always u guys have been a great help :D. I think the reason it raised in the first place was due to late top off so I'm definitely going to need to set up an auto-top off system since i go back to university on Monday.

Also, both groupie and Ross seem right as I've read it on other sites, so I will just take it slow as to not risk any losses.