Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Air Bubbler

Started by gauthier613, January 02, 2009, 05:43:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gauthier613

I'm curious how come I never see a SW tank with an Air Bubbler and I was also told to leave my air line on my Maxi Jet off?  Would a bubbler not help to oxygenate my water? Thinking of leaving one a timer a night time.

Funkmotor

Generally speaking, bubbles (specifically, exposure to air) are bad for a lot of things that we keep in our tanks.  Yes, the reef crest is constantly pounded by waves and bubbles, but deeper down this is not the case.

Sponges, pencil urchins, many corals and certainly clams (as they get air trapped in them) will suffer from bubbles.

It's best to rely on the drain into your sump (which is likely quite turbulent), your protein skimmer and any surface movement to keep your water oxygenated.

You will see emergency air pumps used to move water during power outages, and this is a bit different.  First, it's an acceptable risk at that point.  Second, the bubbles are usually rather fat and rise to the surface immediately...meaning they won't cause trouble.

Hope that helps.

gauthier613

That Helps and makes sense thanks!