Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

clam question

Started by kennyman, January 06, 2009, 03:12:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kennyman

It is necessary for a Squamosa to bind itself to one spot? How bad is it if they move around?

What is your anchored to?

I picked up a little 1.5" squamosa in Oct and the basal area seemed ok from what I can tell. But I have been having a hard time getting it to stay put. I don't know if it is getting picked on or if it is clapping to move its self around.

Funkmotor

I have a squamosa and it also likes to move around.  Tends to go for front and center in the tank.

The movement *seems* to be mostly from when it claps shut and ejects a jet of water.  But I've noticed that it can aim that jet, and I'm not sure if it's doing it on purpose or if that's just the way it happens to be.

If I pick mine up and turn it around, over the space of a couple days it will turn itself around again and - if I moved it in the process - eventually get back front and center in the tank.  It's almost spooky.

kennyman

Quote from: Funkmotor on January 06, 2009, 03:21:30 PM
I have a squamosa and it also likes to move around.  Tends to go for front and center in the tank.

The movement *seems* to be mostly from when it claps shut and ejects a jet of water.  But I've noticed that it can aim that jet, and I'm not sure if it's doing it on purpose or if that's just the way it happens to be.

If I pick mine up and turn it around, over the space of a couple days it will turn itself around again and - if I moved it in the process - eventually get back front and center in the tank.  It's almost spooky.
Ok thanks man. that makes me feel better. Most everything I read talks about other types of clams and pictures I saw even show them as a part of the rock in a natural setting. Those seem to be very stationary and I thought the Squamosa would be too. When I bought it I was told these Squamosa have to go on the sand bed and do not take to rocks. Now I see why. I will let it be for a few days and see where it goes.

redbelly

My squamosa have never attached to the rock eiter and definately prefer the sand bed.

The crocea are happy to attach themselves to the rock but not the squamosa.

veron

I think they like to find the flow and lighting of there choice and then grow. they stay put by shear weight after awhile. many will put an old half clam shell underneath these and maxima clams. crocs like the rocks

Cheebs

I've had 2 crocea clams in my tank for over a year now, and they both look healthy and have huge mantles.  One of them has always just clung to his rock, never moving or detaching it's foot, but the other is a constant hopper. Wherever I put the bugger, he just hops around, whether it be near the light, on the sandbed, high flow or low flow.  He looks no less healthy than the other clam, if not more so, and it's got a nice big full foot, bit jsut never seems to attach for long.

My point is that hopping around isn't exactly detrimental  to the clams health, but I think in a perfect world it should settle down and be comfortable where it is.  If all your parameters and lights are up to par, I wouldn't worry.