Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Do cichlids get ich ??

Started by cichlidicted, January 11, 2009, 12:09:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cichlidicted

heyy ..

My tank includes Juvies of .. 11 Salousi, 8 yellow tail "Acei", 1 red zebra, 8 Tangerine peacocks.

I recently noticed 2 or 3 of the fishes rub their bodies against the gravel.
They do that once every couple of hours.

Is that a sign of ich spreading ??

beowulf

Any sign of the tell-tale white spots?

synodontis

My africans sometimes rub against the sand as well, but never any signs of ich and are very healthy - growing bigger and with lots of breeding.  Don't know if this is normal behaviour.

beowulf

Quote from: synodontis on January 11, 2009, 02:32:10 PM
My africans sometimes rub against the sand as well, but never any signs of ich and are very healthy - growing bigger and with lots of breeding.  Don't know if this is normal behaviour.

Mine also, so I would think it is normal behavior which is why I was asking about the white spots.

Abedz

Hey guys .. thanx for the reply.

Actually no i dont see any spots on the tale... !!

Demasonian

This kind of behaviour is known as flashing and while it can be a symptom of ich, it's also an indicator of a change in water parameters or a deterioration in water quality. And sometimes, it's just natural behaviour.

Usually I see flashing after water changes. As long as there are no white granular spots on the fish, don't worry too much. If it gets excessive, and every fish in the tank is doing it, maybe something has changed in your water. When doing a water change, make sure the water you add is as close as possible in chemistry as the water you remove (ie. pH, gh, kh and temperature stay relatively the same) and don't forget your dechlorinator!