Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Cichlids same color. !

Started by cichlidicted, January 11, 2009, 11:08:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cichlidicted

Hey ..
i noticed while doing some research that if i had one species of cichlids.. i should not add another species with the same colors. It does not explain why.

I have salousi, tangerine, and acie "yellow tale" ... i was planning to add demasoni, and yellow-labs....

advice me please.

beowulf

Do you have a link to the article?  I have never heard of this before.

synodontis

Likely referring to the fact that in some species of cichlids, the males are aggressive towards other males of the same species (conspecific aggression).  This aggression may also be directed towards a similar looking male of another species (simlar color and body shape).

beowulf

Quote from: synodontis on January 12, 2009, 09:04:19 AM
Likely referring to the fact that in some species of cichlids, the males are aggressive towards other males of the same species (conspecific aggression).  This aggression may also be directed towards a similar looking male of another species (simlar color and body shape).

That is the only thing I could think of.

Demasonian

The other concern would be hybridization between two species...In this instance, it's possible one of your male saulosi could breed with a yellow lab.

cichlidicted

Quote from: Demasonian on January 12, 2009, 05:16:27 PM
The other concern would be hybridization between two species...In this instance, it's possible one of your male saulosi could breed with a yellow lab.

Thanks guys
haha... crazyyy ...
and how would my fry look like ?