Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Feeding malawi cichlids fry

Started by desjardo, January 16, 2009, 04:01:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

desjardo

Wondering if its ok to feed malawis feer fish on occasion?

Quatro

I've heard that too much protein causes Malawi Bloat.

beowulf

I feed mine a mix of raw shrimp, rainbow trout and peas all blended up.  I give this once or twice a week and they love it and have never had an issue in the 2 years I have had the fish.

smalltownfan

Just got back from shopping and read this. I'd like to try it out. I've got the raw shrimp and trout, was already on the menu for supper  :D Peas are in the freezer; takes a minute to cook, do you squeeze the peas and discard the skins? I can use the wifes Magic Bullet  ::) 
What are the proportions that you use?

Hank
FW Nano's 5g & 15g
Inverts & Micro fish

Demasonian

If you're talking mbuna, then I would strongly advise against feeder fish...mbuna are mostly herbivores and opportunistic carnivores. A little protein in their diet (like BBS, insects, mbuna fry or cyclopeeze) is good, but certainly not goldfish or other feeder fish...Their digestive systems might not react well and you really don't want to have to deal with a case of bloat, trust me.

sas

Quote from: smalltownfan on January 16, 2009, 06:17:51 PM

Just got back from shopping and read this. I'd like to try it out. I've got the raw shrimp and trout, was already on the menu for supper  :D Peas are in the freezer; takes a minute to cook, do you squeeze the peas and discard the skins? I can use the wifes Magic Bullet  ::) 
What are the proportions that you use?

Hank

Check the Articles list on the left of the screen, under Do-It-Yourself. You'll find a lovely recipe for homemade food for Africans. It's a great one to get your feet wet ::) in making fish food.
The recipe makes alot but if you freeze it carefully in manageable portions it will last nicely in the freezer.

Demasonian

I think I may have misread your post  :-[ If you're asking whether or not it's okay for mbuna to eat their tankmates fry (or their own for that matter), then the answer is yes, totally fine. My mbuna were always breeding and I rarely had fry survive past the first couple of days without being eaten by others. Population control.

Dave and Diane

It would depend on what type (species) that you have.
If you have a few omnivores or a few carnivores then it would be just fine.
Now if the tank was all herbivores' then it would not be recommended although they will eat their own fry when they get a chance it's natural.
When we were living in Winnipeg and really getting into Mbuna's we had all the tanks set up according to diets the omnivores went in both the carnivore tank and the herbivores tank.
We did this after we had experienced a massive case of bloat.
But then as we say to each their own, and learning is a way of life.