Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

suffering african

Started by pworthing, January 22, 2009, 01:14:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pworthing

I just recently moved a tank of africans (125G).    Sorry I am still learning the species names.
Everything went well until 2 days after when 1 medium sized fish (saulosi shape, female acei I believe) bloated up in a matter of hours and is left lying on it's side unable to swim.     I have it resting in a net on it's side and wonder if there is anything I can do?    Scales are pushed out and it is really Fat with no way to rest upright.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.   I was thinking of a hospital tank but I don't know what to heal it with.
I wondered if it was simply scared into shock at first, but now I don't want to leave it in the net much longer in case it hurts the others.
125G - Mixed Africans

Groovylad

This sounds like bloat which one of the causes is stress and others being adding too much salt and improper feeding.  Here is a good link to finding out more and possibly treating this.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/malawi_bloat.php

Good luck and hopefully all goes well...

pworthing

thanks, lots of good info there.
I had been thinking about bloat, but was told it took longer to develop than a few hours.
However, having a great dane, I know it can happen with no warning in dogs, so why not in fish too.

She seems to be hanging on for now.  I will try to pick up one of the recommended medicines.

I did put a piece of romaine lettuce in there the day before.  Maybe she had more than she should have.

Thanks again
125G - Mixed Africans

KLKelly

If you think its malawi bloat - use metronidazole.  The web admin used it (got some from his vet) on a cichlid and it worked.  I've used it once for a bloated goldfish and it also worked.

If the fish is still eating you can make it into a gel food.  You have to order pure metro online for this unless someone has some for you.

If not BigAls sells a product called Metro+ you could use for the tank (quaranteen tank).  Its a mix of salt and metro and you don't know how much metro is in it.  Treat for five to 7 days I believe.

Scales sticking out as in away from the body and not stretched sounds like dropsy.  I wonder if Africans can get this?

markw

Sounds to me like its not bloat. You'd see white thin feces and days without eating before other sick symptoms kick in. Are you sure the tank is fully cycled and when moving things the bacteria wasn't somehow killed off.