Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Enriching OVAS ~ Ideas & Volunteers

Started by dan2x38, January 22, 2009, 11:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dan2x38

If you've not been following this thread, 'Discussions vr. Classifieds' check it out. It has produced some excellent ideas and people wanting to enrich OVAS over all.

Let's organize some of your ideas put them here for the exec to look through to see if it is doable or not happening. Also include your willingness to volunteer to help out with these ideas or with day to day OVAS tasks and/or events i.e. Giant Auction, setting-up meetings, etc.

Ideas:

-moderators for classifieds doesn't have to be an exec; a set of guidelines to be followed by the mod. as well as users
-limit number of posts allowed by a non card carrying member to the classifieds i.e. 5/week or 10/month but they can still send PMs to a seller
-must have certain number of posts before using the classifieds
-article of the month i.e. new product, new discovery have the plant, freshwater, cichlid, saltwater ppl write for their preference

Not saying all these ideas but these ones I like. There were and are a heck of a lot more in that thread. Come on you want to see OVAS grow and be enriched? Be part of that process - it will be fun. You can say I did that!  8)
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Hookup

I'm offering to make good on any number of enrichment-of-content ideas.

I'd like to start publishing the "hot threads this month" feature first in a effort to draw attention to good content.  I'll give this some thought and setup a post to organize the ideas and way forward.

I'd also like to look at getting the articles updated and into the for-front again but would as for help.  Again, I'll put some thoughts down on paper and start a dedicated thread for this idea as well so we can come up with a plan, a plan that I can execute solo or with help, either way.

Thanks Dan for taking this first step.

fischkopp

Quote from: dan2x38 on January 22, 2009, 11:06:24 AM
-moderators for classifieds doesn't have to be an exec; a set of guidelines to be followed by the mod. as well as users

Rather than CF moderators I would say we have content moderators for our most popular sections beside the CF. Something like the experienced dude, that reads most most the posts anyway and has the ability to highlight things. A moderator can add, update and move contents to a place where it won't get lost, could take care of the photo contest and gallery ... he basically there to reduce the workload on the webmaster so that he can concentrate on keeping this site online and look into all those improvement we all dream about :)

We don't need to give moderators the ability to change and delete content, but we could given that there are clear rules in places.
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

dan2x38

Awesome Hookup I forgot to say I would help. Maybe a new forum for these articles. If that was implemented would there be open posting. Maybe a small group ad the articles so it would be easier for others to read? Add the articles as stickies but can't reply to the sticky just in that forum. Then move the articles to an archive in the side bareach month. How would it work Hookup? I know you said adding ideas to paper 1st but...  8)

I like the idea of sprucing up the articles section too. I also find it a bit confusing the titles that is - referring to the side bar. How many ppl actually read or go there I wonder? Can it be made more visible? Maybe some ppl would take on writing new articles for the side bar in there field of knowledge? This might cut down on repetitive questions/answering ie. cycling, filter choices... they are there but who reads them?
Voltaire:

RoxyDog

Thanks for starting this thread Dan, I was going to weed through the other one but now maybe I won't have to.  :)  I'll bring the ideas to the next Exec meeting (in Feb) for discussion.  If there's something anyone feels can't wait let me know, but remember change doesn't happen overnight - give us some time.
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

dan2x38

I realize that June comes fast (can't wait warmth) then things stay as is. Things do take time but hopefully somethings do not get lost in the shuffle.

Idea:

-common exec. meeting location more transparent to the membership; nothing being hiden I know that but if some come out can easily see what is needed and involved running the club
Voltaire:

Hookup

That is what I was thinking Dan.  I'll draw up a straw-man idea and create a thread where we can beat-up and debate the details.  We can also figure out how to get organized in terms of who is committing to help and who is offering to help if and when available, both types are required!

RoxyDog

Quote from: dan2x38 on January 22, 2009, 11:55:15 AM
-common exec. meeting location more transparent to the membership; nothing being hiden I know that but if some come out can easily see what is needed and involved running the club

Not sure what you're looking for here (sorry if I'm slow  :P) in general or to address these ideas?  Any OVAS member is welcome to attend an Exec meeting as an observer - as in they can't participate per say, but they can see how it goes yes.  Most of the time meetings are held in someone's home as it's comfortable, quiet and doesn't cost anything.  If someone wants to come and observe we need to be sure our host is okay with having people they've possibly never met in their home.  If not, or if many people want to come, obviously other arrangements would heve to be made.

If you guys want to keep going and start threads on the ideas and have people debate them that's cool b/c any help is always appreciated.  It might help get specifics and narrow down the ideas, and then if the item needs to be voted on by the Exec, I can bring the finished product to the table @ the next meeting.  :)  Changing the photo contest and possibly adding prizes is something that I'd like to work on personally.
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

Sue

-publishing executive meeting minits similar to the kind CAOAC publish every month in its e-newsletter. They aren't "he said", "she said" minits. Its just club business topics that were on the agenda and a brief summary of the results of talk on that topic.   

Adam

Tank of the Month?  Maybe a 'Your Tanks' section, where you can post particulars about your aquarium and people can browse them instead of going through the threads, like www.cichlid-forum.com
150 Gallon Mbuna: 2 M. baliodigma, 5 Ps. sp. "Deep Magunga", 3 L. caeruleus, 3 Ps. demasoni, 1 P. Spilotonus 'Albino Taiwan Reef', 2 C. afra "Cobue", 2 Ancistrus sp.-144, 5 Ps. Acei, 1 Albino Ancistrus spp. L-144, Various fry

20 Gallon Long Reef: 1 Gramma melacara, 1 Pseudocheilinus hexataenia, 2 Lysmata amboinensis, 2 Lysmata wurdemanni, snails, hermits, crabs, mushrooms, SPS, rare zoanthids, palythoas, ricordea, favites, cloves, acans, candycanes leathers

Cheebs

Quote from: Adam on January 22, 2009, 01:50:31 PM
Tank of the Month?  Maybe a 'Your Tanks' section, where you can post particulars about your aquarium and people can browse them instead of going through the threads, like www.cichlid-forum.com

I've brought this up before.  I still feel we need a section for  Aquarium Journals, where everyone can start a thread, post their experiences, mistakes, builds, updates, etc...  This would promote more posting and give people something else to browse. Currently these type of threads often get lost within the main forums, but it would be very cool if there was a specific spot for them.  This idea didn't seem to pique anybody's interest when I mentioned it months ago, but I am of a mind that it would definitely promote more activity.  Some forums have a Saltwater and Freshwater section, with a small link underneath that is reserved specifically for journals and builds, and it's those threads that often bring in the most views and posts.

Also, in terms of membership itself ( you might notice my ovas membership expired a month or two ago), is it possible to have more locations to sign up for ovas?  I was told at Big Al's in Kanata that I had to travel to the east end to renew my membership, which is difficult to begin with, and impossible with the bus strike without spending a fortune.

Phil.

Edit: Scratch that last part, I was just informed that I could purchase it online!

garnpet

Quote from: Cheebs on January 22, 2009, 02:33:53 PM
Also, in terms of membership itself ( you might notice my ovas membership expired a month or two ago), is it possible to have more locations to sign up for ovas?  I was told at Big Al's in Kanata that I had to travel to the east end to renew my membership, which is difficult to begin with, and impossible with the bus strike without spending a fortune.

We have approached BA in Kanata about selling them at the store, but they turned us down.  La Niche on the Quebec side (I believe) sells them for us as well.
1 fish, 2 fish, <°{{{><  , <°{{{><  

fischkopp

Quote from: Adam on January 22, 2009, 01:50:31 PM

Quote from: Cheebs on January 22, 2009, 02:33:53 PM
I've brought this up before.  I still feel we need a section for  Aquarium Journals, where everyone can start a thread, post their experiences, mistakes, builds, updates, etc...  This would promote more posting and give people something else to browse. Currently these type of threads often get lost within the main forums, but it would be very cool if there was a specific spot for them.  This idea didn't seem to pique anybody's interest when I mentioned it months ago, but I am of a mind that it would definitely promote more activity.  Some forums have a Saltwater and Freshwater section, with a small link underneath that is reserved specifically for journals and builds, and it's those threads that often bring in the most views and posts.

http://ovas.ca/index.php?topic=29860.0
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

Cheebs

Here's a link to my very old post too:

http://ovas.ca/index.php?topic=20344.0

The gallery is nice and all, but it's just not the same.  You don't have the same interaction with people, where they might suggest something, or comment on specific subjects, whether there's  a picture of it or not.  Not only would a dedicated forum section be good for showing off certain things, I think it's an invaluable tool for learning.  You will see people's tanks evolve, you could see their mistakes, and how things recover, how the plumbing works, how the setup went, fish profiles, etc etc..  And with this section being only for personal tank threads, you wouldn't have to go searching through pages of stuff to find someones information on their tank.

Of course, as the moderators have mentioned, it's not as easy as it looks, updates to the site would have to be made, a new set of rules for said forum, set limitations on pictures and the likes, but I think it's an awesome idea!

Phil.

charlie

Quote from: Cheebs on January 22, 2009, 06:00:27 PM
Here's a link to my very old post too:

http://ovas.ca/index.php?topic=20344.0

The gallery is nice and all, but it's just not the same.  You don't have the same interaction with people, where they might suggest something, or comment on specific subjects, whether there's  a picture of it or not.  Not only would a dedicated forum section be good for showing off certain things, I think it's an invaluable tool for learning.  You will see people's tanks evolve, you could see their mistakes, and how things recover, how the plumbing works, how the setup went, fish profiles, etc etc..  And with this section being only for personal tank threads, you wouldn't have to go searching through pages of stuff to find someones information on their tank.

Of course, as the moderators have mentioned, it's not as easy as it looks, updates to the site would have to be made, a new set of rules for said forum, set limitations on pictures and the likes, but I think it's an awesome idea!

Phil.
I regards to the my tank forum, wouldn't a sticky thread in each forum eg saltwater,Africans, freshwater do the trick,  like this exsisting one,it does not get lost or shuffled, it`s content is related to the type of tank ( in this case "Planted tanks" )
http://ovas.ca/index.php?topic=32616.0

Cheebs

Sort of, that's also a good Idea Charlie, but not exactly what I mean.  Check out this link:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=252

In this forum people set up a log for their tank or tanks, and you can follow their "adventure" through the months and even years that they've had their tanks.  I've learned tons just from seeing how people set things up, what it looks like now, what they did along the road, what changes they've made over time and why, upgrades when and where, where they buy things, how they build things, the list goes on and on.

One specific thread for tank builds is too impersonal in my opinion, yes you can tell people your tank spec, but if everyone posted their tank specs and updates there all the time, the posts would in fact get jsut as lost as any other thread.. Reefcentral is only on of many sites that has implemented this, and it's once again an invaluable source of information, and it's something that a short post about your current tank specs can't really give you.

fischkopp

Cheebs, wow, this idea got almost no attention at that time, but I think this has changed. I agree that a separate forum with individual threads for each tank makes it easier to navigate and especially update he current status. Something like a combined gallery - forum: You enter the section and can see all tanks as thumbernail, you click on it and the appendant journal opens. This could be also combined with the "tank of the month" feature suggested earlier.
my fish suck

Hookup

I like where that idea is going... agreed, a forum for build threads is a great idea.

Pamelajo

Does your club have a newsletter?  What about posting on the site?

dan2x38

How about a Purchase Membership button in every forum. Make it more visible. Like Anja said allows for impulse purchasing... ;) Like at the check out.

Quote from: RoxyDog on January 22, 2009, 12:57:54 PM
Not sure what you're looking for here (sorry if I'm slow  :P) in general or to address these ideas?  Any OVAS member is welcome to attend an Exec meeting as an observer - as in they can't participate per say, but they can see how it goes yes.  Most of the time meetings are held in someone's home as it's comfortable, quiet and doesn't cost anything.  If someone wants to come and observe we need to be sure our host is okay with having people they've possibly never met in their home.  If not, or if many people want to come, obviously other arrangements would heve to be made.
That is what I mean people might not want to go to someones home they have never met. Or there might not be room for them or they might want others in their home. So a public place like a room in a community centre $8/hr non-profits Cities cost would allow for people to go to the meeting. Plus it would be central like not out in Kanata or Orleans where someone might have easy access. This would make the meetings more transparent.

Quote from: Sue on January 22, 2009, 01:39:34 PM
-publishing executive meeting minits similar to the kind CAOAC publish every month in its e-newsletter. They aren't "he said", "she said" minits. Its just club business topics that were on the agenda and a brief summary of the results of talk on that topic.   
Yes and include the treasuary report.

Quote from: garnpet on January 22, 2009, 02:39:37 PM
We have approached BA in Kanata about selling them at the store, but they turned us down.  La Niche on the Quebec side (I believe) sells them for us as well.
I had set-up with Fish Tail in Orleans and prepared an envelope with cards and membership forms. Are they not able to do it now?

Quote from: fischkopp on January 22, 2009, 07:43:10 PM
Cheebs, wow, this idea got almost no attention at that time, but I think this has changed. I agree that a separate forum with individual threads for each tank makes it easier to navigate and especially update he current status. Something like a combined gallery - forum: You enter the section and can see all tanks as thumbernail, you click on it and the appendant journal opens. This could be also combined with the "tank of the month" feature suggested earlier.
I agree great idea. Stickies get missed or ignored.
Voltaire: