Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Enriching OVAS ~ Ideas & Volunteers

Started by dan2x38, January 22, 2009, 11:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlie

Quote from: Hookup on January 25, 2009, 10:23:08 AM
cause auctions bring the possibilty of two or more poeple bidding on your item and getting more $$ than selling it in the classifieds, and secondly, the auction is interacting with real-people, having fun...  would be my thoughts anyhow.

Theoretically sound & i agree, however life has taught most of us theory does not transfer to pratical day to day, in my view this is one such case  ;), so i guess my contribuation on the idea side of things , is as a club we need to strongly promote that theory "auctions bring the possibilty of two or more poeple bidding on your item and getting more $$ than selling it in the classifieds, and secondly, the auction is interacting with real-people, having fun...  " :D
Edit to clarify : the strongly promoting is in respect to promoting on the web site.

garnpet

Quote from: charlie on January 25, 2009, 09:34:14 AM
Which can bring up another point of view - why bring it to the auction & have to pay a percentage to the club as a support, when i can sell it on the classifieds with a much larger target audience without paying a percentage or for that matter not be a member.

The auction also avoids the "I'll give you $50 instead of your $75 asking price, and oh can you deliver it to me between 10pm and 11pm on a Sunday??"  issue.    :D
1 fish, 2 fish, <°{{{><  , <°{{{><  

RoxyDog

I think we'll have to put a hold on anything related to changes to the website for possible quite some time.  Anything you can do yourselves, such as start an interesting discussion thread, please do!  But anything related to changing the website itself, implementing new things, please have patience until we can get a new webmaster.  I don't want Pierre bombarded with all kinds of things to do as he tries to transition in a new APW.  I think you can all understand that.  :)
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

dan2x38

Quote from: RoxyDog on January 28, 2009, 09:17:41 AM
I think we'll have to put a hold on anything related to changes to the website for possible quite some time.  Anything you can do yourselves, such as start an interesting discussion thread, please do!  But anything related to changing the website itself, implementing new things, please have patience until we can get a new webmaster.  I don't want Pierre bombarded with all kinds of things to do as he tries to transition in a new APW.  I think you can all understand that.  :)
Couldn't 1 or 2 of the easier/smaller ideas be invoked? The Giant Auction starts which is a a lot of planning understood. Then soon after June is upon us. There is a break for 3 months before the exec. meets again. Plus it is a new exec. possibly or some are. After that nothing really happens until after the exec. meeting end of Sept. That takes us into Oct. to likely look into something after the first exec. meeting for the new season. So changes might not occurr until Nov. or later?

How about a new forum for articles to be started with a coule people given permissions to access? It would be read-only. Articles editted and then submitted to the exec to browse for content to be acceptible. Or a forum for users to add threads about their set-ups. These are not major changes at all. Then a button added with attention brought to it/them.

How about a 2nd idea being to add a button very visible to purchase memberships? Like mentioned by Anja.

Neither of these ideas can be that difficult to introduce. If not these then the exec. cherry pick a couple easy ones to start up. After all we have a few folks into volunteering - strike while the poker is hot. People might get frustraed after all the talk. We even had some oldtimers (not age reference) return and post - welcome back & Yahoo.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

washefuzzy

The problem  Dan is thatPierre is only staying on to help us out where necessary as he is very busy. At this point there is no one available to implement anyting new no matter how simple it may look to you.

Nerine

55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

dan2x38

Quote from: washefuzzy on January 28, 2009, 04:15:43 PM
The problem  Dan is thatPierre is only staying on to help us out where necessary as he is very busy. At this point there is no one available to implement anyting new no matter how simple it may look to you.
It is creating a forum.... that is like creating a folder in Windows - almost. It is a mistake to not. We have so much interest and members returning!
Voltaire:

wish_Fish

just a thought for Organizing the Auction items this year:
would it be possible to number the tables and organize them into different catalogs, such as:

- Plants (table 1, 2, 3, 4...)
- Live stock (table 5, 6..)
- Food (table 7, 8...)
- Equipment (table 9, 10...)
... ... etc ... ...
depends on how many items in each catagory.

it would be easier for people to know what are being auctioned when it comes to the particular table number, instead of having all the items mixed up on all the tables, which was a bit confusing for me last year ... just a thought... ...

washefuzzy

Quote from: dan2x38 on January 28, 2009, 04:44:02 PM
It is creating a forum.... that is like creating a folder in Windows - almost. It is a mistake to not. We have so much interest and members returning!

Pierre is not up to it. Okay Dan!!!

dan2x38

Voltaire:

mseguin

What do you mean "count me out"? You're gonna give up on the site because we're trying not to burden our outgoing volunteer with too much while he looks for a replacement? We're not saying the ideas are bad, just that new features can wait for our new webmaster to get his feet under him. We appreciate all the ideas and enthusiasm, we also didn't anticipate a transition right now. So once our new webmaster is chosen and is ready, I'm sure he'll welcome all these ideas.

Nerine

I'm waiting to see what you mean Dan before I really post.  >:(  better be jesting....otherwise..................... :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats

dan2x38

Not giving up on OVAS of course not...
Voltaire:

Nerine

that's good!! you better not!! or I promise, the fish of christmas past will surely haunt you!!

alongfortheride

Quote from: Pamelajo on January 22, 2009, 09:57:58 PM
Does your club have a newsletter?  What about posting on the site?

On the left hand side of the page you will see Articles/Info, there is a section for all newsletters which have been uploaded to date.
http://ovas.ca/index.php?page=92

dan2x38

Quote from: Pamelajo on January 22, 2009, 09:57:58 PM
Does your club have a newsletter?  What about posting on the site?
some discussion about the newsletter, http://ovas.ca/index.php?topic=33651.0
Voltaire:

Fishnut

I had an idea.

There's an Ottawa Pond Tour held every summer.  I think it's hosted by The Pond Clinic and one of the Garden Centres.  What if we had an OVAS Pond Tour sometime in early Sept?  We could either copy the Ottawa Pond Tour and open our back yards (or front yards) to CARD CARRYING OVAS members (who I would ask to fill in an attendance sheet for security purposes) for a certain time period during the weekend, or we could see if a volunteer wants to spend some time in the summer going around with a video camera like we do with the home show.  The video can be played in one of the winter meetings when we all need a taste of summer.  I say card carrying members because I don't want just anybody wandering around my house!!

Perhaps this would be an interesting way to encourage and promote that aspect of the hobby.  I think more pond attention would be nice within the club!

washefuzzy