Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

What are you thinking of bringing to the Giant Auction?!

Started by Fishnut, January 29, 2009, 08:01:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishnut

I thought we could post some of the things we're thinking of bringing in order to generate even more interest in attendance.

I've been letting my Christmas Moss grow for months and there has been way too much of it in my tank for the last 3 months.  I refuse to trim it and toss it because it's so pretty and not too common.  I plan on bringing several bags of it to the auction.

dan2x38

Wow was thinking of starting this post... ;)

Driftwood with Phonex Moss attached, Celtesial Pearl Danios. Also a Multi-Reef (now MegaFlow) Trickle Filter, Overflow Box, pump, hoses and 150-200 bio-balls with floss. Have some more rare/uncommon plants and interesting livestock but will post later keep checking...  8)

What are you bringing I am saving up.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

dan2x38

Voltaire:

zima

Some interesting plants, CF lights, cash - lots of it! Not sure what else right now...

dan2x38

Quote from: zima on January 29, 2009, 10:33:07 AM
Some interesting plants, CF lights, cash - lots of it! Not sure what else right now...
What plants or is that top secert?  ::)
Voltaire:

Jeff1192

I was hoping this topic would start up again. Cash is definitely on the list of things to bring! I'll probably bring a few trimmings now that I seem to be winning my hair algae battle (knocks firmly on a LARGE piece of wood).

Jeff
17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

Nerine

I'm bringing cookies and some goodies for volunteers...and it was said to me to bring fish shaped food for auction ;)

I'm also bringing moss, maybe some other plants? they are still babies and have a heat mat hehe so might not be ready yet!!

bringing cash for sure!
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

zima

Quote from: dan2x38 on January 29, 2009, 02:20:38 PM
What plants or is that top secert?  ::)

Ha ha, not at all. Nothing unfamiliar to you, Dan - that's for sure! Some moss - fire, x-mas, maybe weeping, some rotala wallichii and vietnam, a couple of species of Echinodorus, dwarf hair grass, java fern, and some more common plants that would have to be trimmed at the time.

How about you - top secret?

dan2x38

Quote from: zima on January 29, 2009, 05:28:59 PM
Ha ha, not at all. Nothing unfamiliar to you, Dan - that's for sure! Some moss - fire, x-mas, maybe weeping, some rotala wallichii and vietnam, a couple of species of Echinodorus, dwarf hair grass, java fern, and some more common plants that would have to be trimmed at the time.

How about you - top secret?
OK ok how about, Crinum calamistratum and Ranalisma rostrata...

How about you others what plants?  8) Plants is a little vague...  ::)
Voltaire:

Cheebs

What's the saltwater situation like at the giant auction?  It might be impractical to bring corals and whatnot, but is there any saltwater specific equipment or livestock usually involved?

dan2x38

Quote from: Cheebs on January 30, 2009, 01:23:56 AM
What's the saltwater situation like at the giant auction?  It might be impractical to bring corals and whatnot, but is there any saltwater specific equipment or livestock usually involved?
Why couldn't folks bring (some) corals?
Voltaire:

Anja

My assassin snail juvies should be good to go by then.

Anyone bringing shrimp? Dan?

Counting the days (and the cash).  ;)
250G (Pond) - Comets, Rosy Reds; 20G Retirement - Congo Tetras, BN, Banjo Cats, Pristellas, Buenos Aires Tetras, Zebra Danios; 25G Pygmy Corys, BN, Green Neons, Assassin Snails, 15G Blue Daisy Ricefish, BN, Betta; 6.6G (Edge) - Diamond Head Tetras, 3G Bloody Mary shrimp, 2G Caridina Cantonensis (tangerine tiger)

dan2x38

Quote from: Anja on January 30, 2009, 09:54:41 AM
My assassin snail juvies should be good to go by then.

Anyone bringing shrimp? Dan?

Counting the days (and the cash).  ;)
Cherry shrimp only... :( My CRS are POing me big issues but that is for another thread  >:( Nice job on the assassin snails I wanted to breed them but...
Voltaire:

Fishnut

Oh dear...it looks like I'll need to bring more cash than I thought!

Cheebs

Quote from: dan2x38 on January 30, 2009, 07:49:45 AM
Why couldn't folks bring (some) corals?

Oh I don't see why not, but it seems liek msot shy away from it, not only because freshwater is mroe popular at these auctions, but it may be hard to sell a coral that's been sitting in a bag for a few hours. It may be tough to know exactly how healthy it is or what it looks like.  Then again I'm not sure how the auction works!

charlie

Quote from: Cheebs on January 30, 2009, 02:25:28 PM
Oh I don't see why not, but it seems like most shy away from it, not only because freshwater is More popular at these auctions, but it may be hard to sell a coral that's been sitting in a bag for a few hours. It may be tough to know exactly how healthy it is or what it looks like.  Then again I'm not sure how the auction works!
Hi Phil, that reason is the most common one people offer, but i find it to be somewhat lame from my view, simply because of the following reasons -
the auction has a priority table for folks to put their stuff up so it goes first at the beginning of the auction, all this for the bargin price of 1.00 ( i think subject to correction),
secondly the just popular thread to organize a frag swap would encounter the same problems as a auction of having corals sitting in a bag for a few hours, so whatever procedures that would apply to the frag swap can be applied to the giant auction & the regular mini auction, the only difference would be it would not be a exclusive frag swap or marine event but a gathering of all types of hobbyist, but that just my view.
Regards
P.S. I`m inclined to believe that if some folks pre -register their salt water livestock & equipment or post their intention of bringing it , their will be hobbyist showing up to grab the stuff & guess what , the chances of them getting a better price for their items are greater than the well used classifieds .So in short it`s the hobbyist that makes or break what is at the auction.

dan2x38

Quote from: Cheebs on January 30, 2009, 02:25:28 PM
Oh I don't see why not, but it seems like most shy away from it, not only because freshwater is More popular at these auctions, but it may be hard to sell a coral that's been sitting in a bag for a few hours. It may be tough to know exactly how healthy it is or what it looks like.  Then again I'm not sure how the auction works!
I drive for Big Al's picking up their fish for both stores here in Ottawa. The fish/coral/rock come into Dorval. They are shipped that day from any number of countries. Let's consider this. They are bagged that morning at what time 2 hours before the flight maybe 4. They need to clear the airport baggage handling. So they are bagged many hours before being tagged for a flight. But first they were shipped from the catchers or another vendor. They are also caught. So after all that they end up sitting in some warehouse ready to go. With airport security issues I bet it's close to 6 hours min. before actually ending up on a plane.

OK our marine animals are in flight now after being handled several times by catchers, one or more vendors, bagged and boxed, then airport baggage handlers and now there is plane turbulence. So they land at another airport handled again at a US airport say 6 hours later. If you are doing the math I am suggesting a min. of 12 hours already bagged.

Now from the US airport they are scheduled for Montreal Oh-Oh they miss the flight (it happens). Now they sit for at least another 4 hours then handled again. They finally land in Montreal are handled by baggage sent to the carriers loading dock. They sit and wait again until paper work clears customs. Finally I pull up to the dock and handle again put into the truck. Drive 2 hours then handled again. Finally they are acclimated into tanks for purchase.

OK so if all goes fairly well we are nearing 24 hours in bags. What happens if they miss a flight and the next day they are picked up? Could be 36 hours or more! So they are handled how many times? They are packed into next to no water to save on shipping costs. When I say next to no I mean enough for them to stay wet basically not like when we take them home.

OK now let's say we want to bring a fish or coral to the auction bagged properly with lots of water on the priority table will be nothing to what they can with stand - believe me I've seen it. Corals will survive just as well. Why would one of my sensitive shrimp or fish not make it if bagged properly... it wouldn't. So if the animal is healthy to start with it will survive if protected from the elements and proper care is taken.

So I agree with Charlie bring your marine animals and equipment. You are likely going to get a better price with a larger audience then posting in the classifieds. If registered well in advance this will advertise the item for sale. Also if mentioned in this thread others will consider bringing their stuff and look to buy. So some variety becomes available. If I had marine tanks believe me I'd have my stuff there and if no one else did I would do quite well I am thinking$$$  8)
Voltaire:

Cheebs

Makes sense, I understand that having the corals or fish in bags for a couple hours won't really harm them, but my main question is whether or not people actually do bring marine stuff to the giant auction.  I'm thinking of checking it out either way, but whether or not I bring a big wad of cash is a different story. If I can get a cheap frag or two, great, unless they aren't there to begin with.  If it isn't that impractical to bring saltwater stuff to auctions, I guess I'm just wondering why you never see it, especially with the popularity of it growing so much within ovas. I hope people start pre-registering some of it like charlie says, then maybe it'll pick up!

RoxyDog

I'm bringing coral frags.  Yep, you heard it, FRAGS!  :D  Probably leathers, mushrooms, zoas, some digita, possibly candycanes.  I'm either going to bring a little tank to set them up in and hopefully they open up well, or bag them and put pictures on the bags. 
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.