Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Best DECHLORINATOR?

Started by itterman, February 26, 2004, 03:38:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

itterman

CHLORINE, CHLORAMINE AND AMMONIA removal?

There are so many water treatments on the market, curently I use aquaplus to dechlorinate my water. What is best?

I see AMMO LOCK, AquaPlus and many others..........

What do people here in the Ottawa area use? What is best. I know that ottawa area has CHLORAMINE wich results in ammonia being released into the water when it breaks down using dechlorinator, so what is the best product to use?

Thanks for the information,
  B

james

Hi
I use to use Amequel but it was too expensive.
I have been using Prime made by Seahem. It removes chlorine chromine and ammonia. I have been using it for the past 5 years . And very economical. a couple of drops per 10 gal. Prime I think is the best bang for your $$

James
55-g  Kribs. Busyi nose pleco, abino
25 gal yellow lab , Brichardi,
55-g white top Afra, Synodontus Alberti,
33- gal PS Demansoni
30-g Dim..Compressiceps , 55 gal  red swords, 
.30-g  P.S Flavus

Marc

I use Prime also.  It's a bit more expensive per bottle but you use a lot less at a time than other brands.

artw

Aquarium Pharmaceuticals -  1 drop per gallon.

The best bang for your buck.

You don't need any of that aloe vera crap.

dpatte

I use 'Aquarium Pharmaceuticals' water conditioner in the red and yellow bottle.As the bottle says, one drop per gallon, so one large bottle will remove the chlorine from 10,000 gallons of water.

It is true that in the case of Ottawa's water, this will break the chloramine bond in the new water and leave the ammonia in the new water, but if the new water is 1 PPM of chloramine, then the ammonia left will be 1 PPM.

If you are doing a 25% water change, then the effective ammonia after doing the water change and removing the chlorine is 1/4 PPM which is negligable, and which will be quickly converted to nitrates via your active nitrogen cycle.

I will be doing a more accurate test of how much AP water conditioner is acually required, since who knows how many PPM the product was tuned for. When I get the results I will post them to the board.

itterman

Thank-you all for the information. It's been very helpfull!

I'm looking forward to your results dpatte!

Thanks
   Bruce