Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Is there a timer that is programmable down to the second??

Started by Zzippper, February 18, 2009, 05:56:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zzippper

Is there a timer that is programmable down to the second??
Does such a beast exist? If so - where can I find one?

You'd think there would be some demand for such a thing... But I cannot find one.
I've googled till I am blue in the face!

Z

FishPassion

Hey Dave,
something like this if so CTC has them

Noma Outdoor Programmable Timer

$24.99

Product #52-8822-2

Program lighting on/off times
Up to 20 programs (on/off functions)
Large LCD display
Clock display in 12 or 24 hour format
LCD digital display
Daylight savings time function
To-the-second programmable count-down timer
Master/Individual override for preset programs
Manual on/off
Built-in batteries automatically recharge
80 corner diamond
110 short
40 cube

winston199

what are you using this for as I may know of something that may work

the noma timer will not work because it only has 20 programs in a 24 hour cycle.

Zzippper

Quote from: FishPassion on February 18, 2009, 06:43:28 PM

Noma Outdoor Programmable Timer

$24.99

Product #52-8822-2

Program lighting on/off times
Up to 20 programs (on/off functions)
Large LCD display
Clock display in 12 or 24 hour format
LCD digital display
Daylight savings time function
To-the-second programmable count-down timer
Master/Individual override for preset programs
Manual on/off
Built-in batteries automatically recharge

Yeah, these are not actually programmable down to the second. Only the count-down timer works to the second. Not what I need. Thanks anyway.

What I am actually looking for is a timer that can be programmed to switch on for a duration of 1 to 20 seconds, and do so every 6 to 12 hours.
I want to hook two of them up to two Aqualifters and use them to automatically dose 2 part (Calcium and Alk).

Z

fischkopp

Quote from: Zzippper on February 18, 2009, 07:56:21 PM
What I am actually looking for is a timer that can be programmed to switch on for a duration of 1 to 20 seconds, and do so every 6 to 12 hours.
I want to hook two of them up to two Aqualifters and use them to automatically dose 2 part (Calcium and Alk).

How about this: let the aqualifter run for a minute and dilute the liquids accordingly?
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

xenon

Easy!!!

All you need is a GHL stand-alone dosing unit. That will maintain Cal, Alk, Mag perfectly!

http://progressivereef.com/proddetail.php?prod=PL-0506

bitterman

I'm not sure if any of these ideas will work, just stuff I've been pondering for the future of my sons tank.

If you look at some of the timer circuits people are using for DIY wave machines, you would have to make modifications to the circuit so it only trigures once when the power comes one. That combined with a normal timer might work?

The other option might be to use somthing like a 1GPH dripper and dilute the solution so it is slowly dripped into tank over a longer time period under presure. You could increase or deacrese the concenteation or the time to get the effect you want as all solutions would have to go in in the same time or multiples of time as they do have 1,2, etc gph drippers.

Bruce

Zzippper

Quote from: fischkopp on February 18, 2009, 11:13:47 PM
How about this: let the aqualifter run for a minute and dilute the liquids accordingly?

I considered this - but the volumes involved would be too great.

Quote from: xenon on February 18, 2009, 11:47:35 PM
All you need is a GHL stand-alone dosing unit. That will maintain Cal, Alk, Mag perfectly!
http://progressivereef.com/proddetail.php?prod=PL-0506

Ummmm... Did you happen to notice the price tag?! I'm looking for a cheaper solution that will let me stay married.

I've got another idea I am pondering - but a 'programmable to the second' timer would be ideal.

Z

xiaan

The GHL ProfiLux is the way to go  :D
other options is the LiterMeter but if you go for that you might as well just get the ProfiLux.

xenon

Quote from: xiaan on February 19, 2009, 11:29:27 AM
The GHL ProfiLux is the way to go  :D
other options is the LiterMeter but if you go for that you might as well just get the ProfiLux.

I agree.

Keeping Calcium, Alkalinity and Magnesium 100% stable is the most important requirement for a reef tank.

If you find it expensive, you are in the wrong hobby.

Zzippper

Quote from: xenon on February 19, 2009, 01:50:41 PM
I agree.

Keeping Calcium, Alkalinity and Magnesium 100% stable is the most important requirement for a reef tank.

Thanks for the opinion. I've seen many more people express that same sentiment about lighting.

With all due respect, I've been following your posts. You spend money like water dude. That's all well and fine if it works for you. You are obviously some combination of rich, single (or have a very understanding wife) and.. sorry to say it - a tad gullible.

You don't need to spend thousands of dollars on LED lighting, fancy dosing pumps and overpriced, hyped-up products to have a successful reef tank. If you want to - that's great. That doesn't mean the rest of us have to also to win your approval.

I'm sorry if I am insulting you. I don't mean to. I am just a firm believer that there is always more than one way to get the job done right... And frankly, your suggestion that I am in the wrong hobby if I don't want to spend top-dollar to buy top-of-the-line products (like you do) is a bit insulting to me.

Z

xenon

I am sorry that my comment insulted you. That was not my intent. Your opinion of my methods are valid and I have thick enough skin to laugh it off so no worries. ;)

I was simply offering you a solution to your question. A couple hundred bucks to me is nothing but I can understand it might be alot to others. You might save money getting cheap dosing pumps and timers but the chances of things going wrong will increase.

Good luck.

Zzippper

I generally have pretty thick skin myself. I have to as I work in sales. I guess you caught me at a vunerable moment   :-[ :D
As you said - no worries. In fact I've already forgotten about it.

Your point about increased chances of things going wrong is also valid.
The way I look at it is that it adds an exhilarating element of uncertainty to the hobby!   ;D (like I need that)

Z

FocusFin

Quote from: xenon on February 19, 2009, 01:50:41 PM
I agree.

You might be on the wrong site. This may be more your speed.

http://www.reefcentral.com/
110g saltwater/reef

I was walking down the street and a man was hammering on a roof top and he called me a Paranoid Little Weirdo. . . in morse code.

xenon

FocusFin

Quote from: xenon on February 20, 2009, 04:40:57 PM
Thanks I never seen that site before.

No problem.

110g saltwater/reef

I was walking down the street and a man was hammering on a roof top and he called me a Paranoid Little Weirdo. . . in morse code.

gauthier613

I never knew the fish world was full of this much Drama LOL

xenon

Quote from: FocusFin on February 20, 2009, 06:07:50 PM
No problem.

Do you honestly think I will stop posting on OVAS because I am afraid what the    people    might think?  ::)

I get lots of positive comments in my build threads so I am pretty sure people enjoy them otherwise I wouldn't bother.

Don't be mad at me because your broke, it's your own fault.

nissannx

I enjoy your threads Dan, I also enjoy buying your old equipment when you upgrade lol. Ignore them, not worth the headaches.