Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

TSkinner's 5.5 Gal Reef Tank.......news pics added....01 July 09

Started by tskinner, February 22, 2009, 01:59:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tskinner

Quote from: Bob the Nano on May 09, 2009, 10:48:41 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing the new light..nice find! Do you have to acclimate your tank to the more powerful light?

I was running 40Watts of T5 3 inchs from the water before and now I'm running the 70 MH about 5.5 inchs from the water.  My photoperiod used to be 10 hours but now I've went down to 6 hours and will increase an hour a week until I get back to my normal photoperiod.  Everything seems to be loving the light and I love the shimmer from the MH since all my tanks were T5 before that.  I'll get some pics up later of the the lamp tree and the new setup. 

tskinner

Quote from: LittleX on May 09, 2009, 11:46:21 PM
Very nice setup
Keep us posted on the progress

Yeah I really like the challenge of a small setup.  Going to be even harder once it gets more stocked with some more SPS and my small clam gets transferred.  Its been running since boxing day but I'm still going to wait alittle longer to get more stability before the clam is moved. 

tskinner

Also changed the Yellow Damsel out for a small Yellow Clown Goby.  He's doing good and eating great.

tskinner

Some new pics of the light setup.  The clam is currently in the 20 gallon but will be moved later once its close to being torn down.

How the light is mounted to the back.

All setup with the mount painted.  Just need to tie wraps to hide the wires.

Lowered the light acouple inchs.  This is with the moonlights running.

My crocea clam.  May be swapped for a smaller crocea/maxima later if I can find one.  It looked smaller in the tank when I picked it out.  It attached itself to a piece of rubble in the sandbed first and then I moved it up to my rockwork to make sure it gets enough light.

tskinner

Here's an updated FTS with the MH.  I find it hard to get a good FTS since its so bright.  I will be swapping out the bulb (14K) next weekend for a 20K since I want colors rather than growth in this small tank and I shouldn't lose alot of PAR since the tank is so small. 

Anyone know an easy way to get rid of this red marco algae I have growing all over my rocks?

tskinner

And a top down shot of the calm in my 20gallon that will be transferred probably tonight or tomorrow.  Whenever I get a chance to do it.  He's under T5 right now and seems to be loving it but will be going under some MH in the new tank.

tskinner

Added some SPS today.  I put in a blue milli, pink/purple birdsnest and a pink poccilipora.  Also, swapped the bulb to 20K CoralVue.  I'll post some updated pics once everything settles in and colors up.  I plan on transferring the clam sometime this week or weekend also.

Hookup

tskinner

Quote from: Hookup on June 01, 2009, 09:48:32 AM
Looks awesome... TOTM!  ;) ;) ;) ;)

Haha....thanks but not yet.  Well I transferred the clam but he's unfortunately alittle too big so I've decided to sell him.  All the new corals are doing great and coloring up quickly.  Maybe 1 or 2 more pieces and I'll be done.  Sit back and watch it grow.  The new bulb totally changes the look of the tank.  Once my net is back I'll post some pics and maybe a video if I'm bored.  Also added a koralia nano today for some additional flow for all the sps and they seem to be responding perfectly.  Starting with my next waterchange I'll also be making the switch from red sea coral pro to reef crystals.  Thanks for looking.

tskinner

Here are a few pics.  Things are starting to open up and color up slowly.  Its really hard to get good pictures under the 20k halides with all the blue and I can't seem to get the white balance figured out.  Anyways here are some pics of the new additions.  Thanks for looking

Thanks for looking....... :D

mikerobart

Looking really good. Those HOB's are aquaclears? Are you just running chaeto in the HOB, and using just that and water changes for nutrient export ? Looks like it's working for you nicely, makes me wanna get a 10g I got a little while ago going, but I have been so focused on the larger tank build.

tskinner

Quote from: mikerobart on June 02, 2009, 05:22:22 PM
Looking really good. Those HOB's are aquaclears? Are you just running chaeto in the HOB, and using just that and water changes for nutrient export ? Looks like it's working for you nicely, makes me wanna get a 10g I got a little while ago going, but I have been so focused on the larger tank build.

Yeah the hang on back is an Aqua Clear 70, which is for tanks around 75 gallons I believe.  It adds alittle more water to the system and I have cheato, filter floss and carbon in there.  I also do weekly 50% water changes and everything seems to be doing good so far.....

tskinner

Quote from: Vincenzo. on June 02, 2009, 09:32:48 PM
tha'ts awesome.

Thanks.....hopefully it'll look better in acouple months once everything starts to grow and color up.  Also plan on adding 2 or so more frags in about 2 weeks then thats it. Sit back and watch it grow, hopefully not too fast cause there isn't much room.

tskinner

Picked up acouple more SPS frags yesterday from Pat.  Once they are mounted I'll post some updated pictures.  All my stocking is finished, now just to sit back and watch it grow.  I'm going to start tested my alk/cal usage and start dosing two part as soon as I figure out my daily usage.  Thanks for looking.

salvini55

LittleX

Quote from: tskinner on June 14, 2009, 02:32:28 PM
Picked up acouple more SPS frags yesterday from Pat.  Once they are mounted I'll post some updated pictures.  All my stocking is finished, now just to sit back and watch it grow.  I'm going to start tested my alk/cal usage and start dosing two part as soon as I figure out my daily usage.  Thanks for looking.

Congrat
cant hardly wait to see the final set up.

tskinner

Well my 2 part and more test kits will be here on Wednesday so then I can start rising and keep things more stable.  I'll have to get some pics up soon for you guys to see my progress.  Thanks for looking.

tskinner

As promised, I uploaded some new pics below.  Still have to mount my monti cap and then thats it.  Thanks for looking......