Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

110 gallon build - Update

Started by FocusFin, February 24, 2009, 09:03:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FocusFin

Last weekend I dropped some fish and inverts off at gmack225's house in Renfrew and he invited me in to see his 220 gallon and I was blown away. The size and rockwork was very impressive but it was the colors and number of fish that truly made it amazing.

I immediately went out to the car to get my wife ;) and the moment she saw it I had carte blanche to upgrade our 56 gallon but with one caveat, " please don't do anything piece-meal or DIY".

So she picked out the tank she liked and we found a stand that was both funtional and fit in with our other furniture. I'm using pvc to frame the rockwork and will transfer over this week.

The pictures kind of suck but you...uh... get the picture.

[attachment deleted by admin]
110g saltwater/reef

I was walking down the street and a man was hammering on a roof top and he called me a Paranoid Little Weirdo. . . in morse code.

FocusFin

One more

110g saltwater/reef

I was walking down the street and a man was hammering on a roof top and he called me a Paranoid Little Weirdo. . . in morse code.

barabe

Great work!!! Keep going... I'm taking notes!!!!  :)

Severum

OOOOOOh that is going to be one nice looking arch! Very nice!

It also looks like your going to get your armpits wet reaching into the bottom of that tank.  ;D

Regards,
Steve Everum

"We like people for their qualities, but love them for their defects."

120 gallon reef

FocusFin

Quote from: barabe on February 24, 2009, 10:31:28 AM
Great work!!! Keep going... I'm taking notes!!!!  :)

Knowing what I now about setting up a tank I'm not so sure I'd trust me if I was me :P

Quote from: Severum on February 24, 2009, 10:45:00 AM
OOOOOOh that is going to be one nice looking arch! Very nice!

It also looks like your going to get your armpits wet reaching into the bottom of that tank.  ;D

I told my wife that I was going to get soaked everytime I had to work in there but she said she didn't think it would be a problem so I guess she knows what she's talking about ::)

110g saltwater/reef

Severum

What are the dimensions of the tank? 48"x18"x30"?
Regards,
Steve Everum

120 gallon reef

FocusFin

Quote from: Severum on February 24, 2009, 11:43:14 AM
What are the dimensions of the tank? 48"x18"x30"?

Yep. The stand is about 30 inches so with lighting included total height is about 66 inches.

110g saltwater/reef

FocusFin

I partially finished the rockwork last night and transferred everything from one of the two 56 gallons I have. The rest I'll do this weekend after I arrange everything properly.

The transfer went surprisingly well. I drained 1/4 of my existing tank into the new tank then reversed and refilled the existing tank and did this 5 or 6 times over a period of two hours. Nobody seemed stressed by it and my clam actually opened wider than usual about an hour after the transfer.

I don't care for the background but it was the darkest blue that Deserres had in stock. I will paint it this weekend instead.

110g saltwater/reef

charlie

Looking good Mike, now you have to get all the fancy do- dads  :D  ;)

Severum

Great looking arch. Are you planning to cover up the zip ties with something or let coraline algae cover them?
Regards,
Steve Everum

120 gallon reef

RoxyDog

Nice so far!

Did you drill and used zip ties for the rock, I can't quite tell?

Where is the stand from?
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

FocusFin

Quote from: Severum on February 26, 2009, 03:46:16 PM
Great looking arch. Are you planning to cover up the zip ties with something or let coraline algae cover them?

Zip ties? What zip ties...damn! I only had black ones on hand and I was so sick and tired of running back and forth to HD and CTC that I thought noone will notice. I may be able to replace some of them with white, I'll see.

Quote from: RoxyDog on February 26, 2009, 04:15:36 PM
Nice so far!

Did you drill and used zip ties for the rock, I can't quite tell?

Where is the stand from?

Yep, I drilled and used zip ties, it's surprisingly stable.

We picked up the stand at Valley Squire and what I like about it is that the two doors on the sides have double shelves on wheels, like a spice rack. It's perfect for all of the bottles, refract. etc.

110g saltwater/reef

Severum

Quote from: FocusFin on February 26, 2009, 04:49:21 PM
We picked up the stand at Valley Squire and what I like about it is that the two door on the sides have double shelves on wheels like a spice rack. It's perfect for all of the bottles refract. etc.

Nice!!!
Regards,
Steve Everum

120 gallon reef

FocusFin

It's been about a month since the tank went up so I thought I would update my pictures.

I didn't care for the background so I painted using a latex flat finish and it went on nice & easy.

110g saltwater/reef

FocusFin

...and

110g saltwater/reef

Cheebs

Breathtaking tank and rockwork! I love it.

redsanurse

What a gorgeous setup. Wish my husband would give me carte blanche. I only want to replace the fridge in the kitchen with a tank these days... who needs a fridge? If I had my way I would have 10 tanks though so I guess carte blanche is not the way to go!

charlie

Fantastic job Mike, well done.

FocusFin

Quote from: Cheebs on March 25, 2009, 12:46:44 AM
Breathtaking tank and rockwork! I love it.
What a nice compliment, thank you.

Quote from: redsanurse on March 25, 2009, 10:54:38 AM
What a gorgeous setup. Wish my husband would give me carte blanche. I only want to replace the fridge in the kitchen with a tank these days... who needs a fridge? If I had my way I would have 10 tanks though so I guess carte blanche is not the way to go!

I hear you. Part of the deal was, "do what you have to do but then that's it, no more, no bigger, no better". We'll see :P

Quote from: charlie on March 25, 2009, 11:09:12 AM
Fantastic job Mike, well done.

Thanks Errol.
110g saltwater/reef

Severum

Wow, amazing! Not only did it look good when you were putting it together it looks fantastic now! Bravo!

I'm jealous.  :-[
Regards,
Steve Everum

120 gallon reef