Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Maxi Jet Powerhead

Started by Julie, February 24, 2009, 02:02:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Julie

Hello, I have 2 maxi jets which are no longer circulating water.  The motor seems to be functioning, but there is no water movement.  I cleaned the powerheads.  Any ideas? (possibly  a broken impeller, can't tell by looking at it)  thank you.

FocusFin

If the motors are running then it's likely the impellers. The impellers should be loose and slide up and down the metal pin.

When you remove the impeller examine both ends, you should be able to see the metal pin running through the impeller.

Sometimes algae or other garbage will get wound around the metal pin which will keep it from spinning. Also check the impeller cover which you probably have already done.

Another option, if you have working powerhead swap the impellers and see if the working one still works and vice versa

Good luck.

Mike

110g saltwater/reef

I was walking down the street and a man was hammering on a roof top and he called me a Paranoid Little Weirdo. . . in morse code.

Adam

You could also bathe them in vinegar overnight to get rid of calcium deposits that might be clogging up the impeller.
150 Gallon Mbuna: 2 M. baliodigma, 5 Ps. sp. "Deep Magunga", 3 L. caeruleus, 3 Ps. demasoni, 1 P. Spilotonus 'Albino Taiwan Reef', 2 C. afra "Cobue", 2 Ancistrus sp.-144, 5 Ps. Acei, 1 Albino Ancistrus spp. L-144, Various fry

20 Gallon Long Reef: 1 Gramma melacara, 1 Pseudocheilinus hexataenia, 2 Lysmata amboinensis, 2 Lysmata wurdemanni, snails, hermits, crabs, mushrooms, SPS, rare zoanthids, palythoas, ricordea, favites, cloves, acans, candycanes leathers

FocusFin

What was the verdict on the powerheads? Were you able to solve the problem?
110g saltwater/reef

I was walking down the street and a man was hammering on a roof top and he called me a Paranoid Little Weirdo. . . in morse code.

henry

One other thing that was not mentioned, be sure the metal part of the impeller is locking with the plastic impeller blades. Impeller will turn independent of the metal drum but only about 320 degrees and then it should lock, to drive the plastic impeller.

Julie

Hi, I used some crazy glue to reattach the part of the impeller which had separated.  It's working once again.  :)