Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Pearling

Started by smalltownfan, March 02, 2009, 11:47:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smalltownfan

The Riccia fluitans I bought at a mini auction rewarded me with its first show of pearling. It's only a bit but it looks neat. The picture doesn't do it justice and the red cherry shrimp that was "playing" on it had taken off by the time I got the camera.

[attachment deleted by admin]
FW Nano's 5g & 15g
Inverts & Micro fish

zima

Enjoy the champagne effect, it is woderful!

washefuzzy

What is pearling? Very nice looking plant.  :)

smalltownfan

Quote from: washefuzzy on March 03, 2009, 09:06:17 PM
What is pearling? Very nice looking plant.  :)
It refers to the beads of oxygen being released by the plant. From what I have found it happens in the evening after a day of lighting, and is the product of photosynthesis. There are some photos on the net of terrific displays of pearling, but I'm happy with the little that I've got. It's a start...for now!!!!!
FW Nano's 5g & 15g
Inverts & Micro fish

dan2x38

Riccia is one of the best plants for pearling. Usually seeing it later in the day is the build-up of CO2 so better photosynthesis occurs. With pressurized CO2 plants can almost fizz from so much oxygen produced... I've watched this off some leaves in my tanks it is wild to see.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Jeff1192

Every night a bunch of my plants are sending a steady stream of really small bubbles to the surface. Especially the plants that have been recently trimmed. It's pretty cool to see.

Jeff
17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

washefuzzy

Thanks that sure is interesting.  :)

BigDaddy

Quote from: Jeff1192 on March 04, 2009, 07:23:55 AM
Every night a bunch of my plants are sending a steady stream of really small bubbles to the surface. Especially the plants that have been recently trimmed. It's pretty cool to see.

Jeff

Unfortunately Jeff, that's not pearling.  That is streaming.  Streaming occurs when a plant is damaged (like immediately after trimming) and the open wound is sending gas out of the system.  Some streaming is normal as plants grow and the cell membranes of older foliage become compromised, but excessive streaming in a tank that hasn't been pruned recently is a sign things aren't doing so well with your plants.

Pearling, on the other hand, very rarely if ever produces "streams" as the oxygen bubbles collect on the underside of leaves and only rise to the surface when current hits them or when their accumulated mass makes them too heavy (too light actually) for the leaf to hold underwater and it escapes out from underneath.

Jeff1192

Ok thanks for the clarification. It seems to occur where I have recently pruned the plants. I also get pearling on the undersides of the leaves so I'm pretty sure things are good.

Jeff
17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

dan2x38

Interesting BD thanks for the info. That explains not seeing often which is a good thing then...
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."