Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Brig Snail Surprise?

Started by dan2x38, March 03, 2009, 09:52:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dan2x38

OK I had three Purple Brigs I got off of Succintfish quite sometime ago. I lost 2 they managed to find their way out and died... but one remained a real beauty now. I though it was a male up until yesterday. I found three clutches in the tank yesterday. I had to fill & clean tanks after removing fish for auction 2 under the lid on on side of glass near the top since the water was low.

OK questions... I thought you needed 2 brigs male/female to get eggs and a hatch? Will mine hatch if I keep them properly? Why over 8 months or more with no clutches? Changes to the tank were less population - less food - plus last couple weeks lots of water changes to help with growth for the auction. Where was the trigger?

I have them on syrofoam floating with a little bit of plastic over them for humidity preventing drying out & floating in a warm tank.

Very strange never thought I'd see any more clutches.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Laura

Hi Dan,
You definitely need a male/female pair.  I believe they can store sperm for a period of time, but not sure for how long.
I think females will lay infertile clutches whether or not males are present, but I think we need pamelajo, katalyst or Melody to chime in as they are wiser than me.
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

dan2x38

yeah hope they tune in and find the thread... thanks Laura but can they store sperm for 8 months? why were the clutches never laid before this? strange or not?
Voltaire:

Laura

I suspect they have a variety of triggers, sometimes they won't lay for a long time, and others will lay regularly.  It could be all the water changes.

Not sure about 8 months with no males around - it seems like a long time - you could do a search on applesnail.net for length of time they can store sperm.
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

dan2x38

Is there a way to tell if the eggs are any good? What is the average length of time before they would hatch?
Voltaire:

sas

You'll notice they turn a grayish color just before they hatch. Usually 2-4 weeks but depended on humidity and temperature.
Our brigs have been laying in fits and starts for a few months now. The first few clutches were sterile or my hatching technique was flawed, not sure.
I tried the method of incubating that you are doing now Dan and didn't have much luck. I then used the ziploc bag method and seeing good results. All this info was thanks to Melody and Pamelajo, so hopefully as Laura says they'll pop in here soon.
Good luck Dan, baby brigs are sooooooooo cute!

Brine

Quote from: sas on March 04, 2009, 09:02:41 AM
the ziploc bag method and seeing good results.
what is "the ziplock bag method"?

Pamelajo

Sorry been busy, feel free to pm me if you ever have any questions.  I always check my email, but may not get around to popping in regularly. 

As Laura said they do hold sperm for months.  Triggers can be anything from an abundance of fresh greens to waterchanges.  Mine usually get busy in the fall, but this year it was fall right through until a couple of weeks ago.  As Sass said it takes usually 2 - 4 weeks for them to hatch.  I have used both methods, container with styrofoam, craft mesh and water floating in the tank and the baggie method.  I have actually been starting with the baggy method and then when they look moldy move them to the container.  I find that once hatched they do better in one of the floating plastic breeders for the first while.  No too far to go for food, some use tubs. 

Hope this helps!

Pamelajo

Quote from: Brine on March 04, 2009, 11:26:56 AM
what is "the ziplock bag method"?

Take a paper towel dipped in tank water and wring out.  Roll clutch up in paper towel and place in Ziploc bag.  Put in the tank using the lid to secure the bag from floating away.  Check daily.

sas

Sorry Brine for not responding immediately, we had some computer issues ::).
I see Pamelajo popped in :), and answered.

One word of caution though with the floating bag method, make sure the knot or ziploc stays out of the water.
You don't want excess water in the bag because you'll drown the clutch :(.
I had this happen, went away for the weekend and left someone in charge and came back to a half
filled bag and clutches ruined. Thankfully the girls had blessed me with a few more, but lessened learned.
Some of those closures on the freezer bags aren't as good as they claim.

dan2x38

Pamelajo how many months can they store sperm for. It has been over 6 months since I've had another snail with this one. Is that possible? So they just lay eggs without a male? He fertilizes them when?
Voltaire:

Pamelajo

Quote from: sas on March 05, 2009, 07:08:06 AM

One word of caution though with the floating bag method, make sure the knot or ziploc stays out of the water.
You don't want excess water in the bag because you'll drown the clutch :(.

Been there done that, still do on occasion. ::)

Pamelajo

Quote from: dan2x38 on March 05, 2009, 07:59:45 AM
Pamelajo  It has been over 6 months since I've had another snail with this one. Is that possible? So they just lay eggs without a male? He fertilizes them when?
I don't have an exact amount but could possibly be six months.

After a week or two you should start seeing a colour change in the clutch it will have  light grey under tones and then look blueish since kind of moldy looking.  If you do not see anything after four weeks then it is a dud.  Knew someone who kept one til the fourth week and went to throw it out and it was hatching. It depends on the humidity, temperature etc. 

dan2x38

So if I understand you are saying, "Hurry-up and wait" LOL thanks we will have to see then... might be a pile of babies available or just a clump of goop...
Voltaire:

Pamelajo

Pretty much!!! ;D  Usually after a couple of weeks you can tell, but don't throw it out if not colouring up til a month!  ;)

dan2x38

OK I will hurry and wait... keep you guys posted. I do hope they hatch they are purple very nice.
Voltaire:

Pamelajo

Keep us posted.  Maybe when I head up we can trade bloodlines.   :)

dan2x38

sure if mine hatch... I only have the one though Laura has a batch for sure...
Voltaire:

Pamelajo

Fingers crossed for hatching!  One week down.

dan2x38

Might be my wishful thinking but they look darker. They were very pale almost whitish when first discovered. If I do get a hatch there is going to be a flood of brig snails locally... LOL

When do they become sexually mature?
Voltaire: