Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Cabomba caroliniana

Started by Fishnut, March 04, 2009, 11:34:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishnut

I just wanted to double check with everyone.  Cabomba, according to the Tropica Website, needs a minimum of medium light and can grow in temps as low as 65 degrees.  What has your experience with this plant taught you?

I'm trying to think of a plant that will grow tall and fluffy because I'm thinking of turning that half moon shaped tank I won at the auction into my new CPD tank.  The tank is at 70 degrees.  Right now it has low lighting but as long as I can provide them with something to hide around/in, I'll be happy to bump up the lighting.  They're going to LOVE that plant if I can grow it!

apuppet

i'd played with the lighting, low light, get tall& lanky. But the more light, the bushier they get.
planted

dan2x38

I've read more than once that every wet gardener... ;) has a plant/s that give them a tough time. Cabomba & Egeria are my nemesis. The stems can rot at the gravel and they are difficult to get rooted to start. With higher light they can get reddish tinits on the top. There is a red var. Both are easy to grow plants you should be able to grow Cabomba. A plant looks pretty much the same and easier to grow with very wide requirments is Limnophila sessiflora. Someone locally has some I am sure. It is easy to root with very little care will get bushy with good lighting and prunning. It is a cheap plant I grew for a very long time - I still miss it just wanted a change.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Fishnut

charlie

Quote from: Fishnut on March 05, 2009, 05:43:29 PM
So a 70 degree temp is ok?
Bacopa caroliniana is a very easy & versatile plant to keep ( my experience with it), it will do good in temps from 60-82 F, & low to high light, i`ve kept it @ 1.8 wpg & no co2 before.

BigDaddy

My experience with Cabomba has always been that even in the highest of light, it was always far too leggy for me and never got the textbook bushyness you see when you buy the plant.  The top 6 inches always seems relatively bushy, but the bottom foot or more was always unsightly and leggy. 

I will say, though, that low temps aren't an issue for this plant.  I kept mine in a A. borelli tank which was not heated and remained at around 76 to 78 degrees.  The plant did fine under those temps and at medium light, but growth was VERY slow.

Fishnut

That's good to hear.  I don't mind it growing slow and staying low I guess.  I just want something fluffy for the CPD's to swim amongst.

Now all I need to do is find some! 

charlie

Quote from: charlie on March 05, 2009, 05:54:22 PM
Bacopa caroliniana is a very easy & versatile plant to keep ( my experience with it), it will do good in temps from 60-82 F, & low to high light, i`ve kept it @ 1.8 wpg & no co2 before.
Oops, thanks BD , guess i should read carefully  :D ;D, i`m way out to left field here, OP was talking about Cabomba caroliniana. :)