Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Lighting

Started by pcole6765, March 05, 2009, 05:44:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pcole6765

fischkopp

Quote from: pcole6765 on March 09, 2009, 03:30:31 PM
I have another question. If I was to purchase a pendent type fixture that takes a regular 60 watt bulb, could I use that to light the aquarium and would it provide enough light for the plants instead of the florescent fixture that's on there now?

Regular light bulbs are not very suitable for a planted aquarium. As stated already, their spectrum is in the 2000/3000K and more important their light intensity (or efficiency) is not the greatest for the wattage. But, you can always use compact fluorescent bulbs in your pendant, they are available in 6500K and come with many different power levels. Those are very suitable for a low cost setup and beat any T8 fluorescent bulb.
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

charlie

Just to add to what was said already, the trick with the pendants & screw in CF is getting it as close as possible to the top of the tank, since they are not the most efficient in getting the light in the tank, as such if you suspend them high above the tank, a lot of the useable light will be lost.
My 2 cents  ;)

pcole6765

the problem I'm having is every time I go to feed the fish or replant a plant that's come loose, test the water, basically every time I have to open the lid the light is in the way and I have to completely remove it from the top of the aquarium..I find this to be a huge PITA

dan2x38

Join the club... ;) I have glass tops on all my planted tanks with several banks of lights laying on top. It is no big deal you get use to it... You make a hood or buy one too.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."