Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Lighting

Started by pcole6765, March 05, 2009, 05:44:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pcole6765

We aren't the handiest of people but also don't want to pay a fortune for a light fixture. What's the easiest cheapest solution to get better lighting for our plants. We have a 29 and 33 Gallon.

charlie

That will hinge on what type of plants you want to keep.

pcole6765

I have some val, java fern, african fern, anabius nana, babies tears, crypts. Not looking to keep anything extra special. I just want the plants to do well.

I have two bulbs on the 29 gallon but the wattage isn't the 2-3 watts per gallon that is recommended. I think both bulbs on that tank are 18w each. I do have some liquid fertilizer as well but haven't added any in a while.

fischkopp

The plants you have don't need much light. I wouldn't change anything if you think that they are doing well. If you plan to increase the light keep in mind that this will increase the plants metabolism and hence the need of more nutrients in form of fertilizer and CO2. Algae will have a easy play if these are not provided in sufficient amount.

That said, a screw in light bulb fixture is already a quite cheap solution to provide a great amount of light. You can use a large variety spiral and straight power compacts.
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

charlie

Just to add to fischkopp post, that recommended 2-3 WPG will allow you to grow most plants but it will also incorporate the added nutrients like fischkopp mentioned, for the plants you have ,staying between 1.5 - 2 WPG is going to be good enough.

The 33 gallon is more than likely 36 inches long, in that case there is a 36 inch fixture in the classifieds that will work perfect & look good too  ;), you will need to price the bulbs ( T5 normal output between 5000 - 10000K), if thats in your budget , you are set for the 33 gln
http://ovas.ca/index.php?topic=33740.msg218070
Check with Litemore or Buchanan lighting for bulbs( much cheaper )

The 29 will prove a bit more of a challenge since i`m assuming it`s 30 inch long , but like mentioned a couple of screw in type fixtures should get you i the 1.5- 2 WPG, or some mods to the existing light fixture - gutted , painted flat white , & 2 x24 inch T5 HO light strips from B&B hydroponics fitted in there & you are set, same can be done with the 36 inch fixture on the 33.
Regards

pcole6765

so stop buying lights at the LFS..lol

I just added the twin bulb fixture to the 29gal so I'll see how that works out over the next few weeks. I do want to paint it out though, it's pretty ugly. Any special paint I need to use?

dan2x38

The 30" lights are usually fitted with a 24" fixtures... :( Even the 36" lights are sometimes 24" fixtures. I am talking the standard kit lights that come with the tanks & hoods. I was lucky when I bought a 38g kit I got the last one with a 36" light fxture. OH yeah like Charlie said buy lights somewhere else then the LFS.

Remember plants are awesome and look great but they come at a price and not just money. It calls for more work and lots of research to be successful. Basic plants are easy I am talking about the more challenging ones like Chlarie's infamous Alternanthera reineckii.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

pcole6765

The plants in the 29 gal really aren't looking so good. They're losing their colour and some that I bought at the auction have hair algae on them :(

The bulbs are both 24" in the 29 Gal

In the 33 the bulb is 30"

dan2x38

Crypts very likely will suffer at first. In fact they might suffer from what is called Crypt melt. The leaves melt away or some. Don't worry most of the time they will regrow over time don't uproot throw it out. Your plants are easy requirements are simple so they will settle in. All plants suffer transplant shock just takes a little bit for them to recover. Again a patience thing... ;) In case you haven't guessed yet this hobby involves a lot of patience...  ::)
Voltaire:

pcole6765

One of the plants I've had from the start is starting to lose it's colour, the leaves are turning yellowish white on the outer edges. I have some driftwood in there, can that be causing the plants to lose their colour. I couldn't find the plant on tropica.com so I don't know what it is.

dan2x38

depending on the plant it might not be aquatic... do you have a picture? very colourful plants do require high lighting & CO2.
Voltaire:

pcole6765

Here's a picture. Some of the plants also look like they have algae or some brown stuff on them but when I try to wipe it off it doesn't come off. In the picture you can see it a little on a couple of the leaves.

Please excuse the really bad placement of the plants. I had them placed where I wanted them and some floated to the top so right now they're kinda all over the place. I don't want to stress out the new fish I put in there this weekend so I figured I'd just leave them for a little bit.

Oh boy that blue gravel needs to go :-\ :o

[attachment deleted by admin]

dan2x38

I am not sure what any of of them are?
Voltaire:

pcole6765

Whatever they are they have good roots

charlie

Some of it looks like Cryptocoryne pontederiifolia & the tall grassy one might be Vallisneria nana, both looks like they are not properly planted as the root structure is visible.

pcole6765

The gravel isn't deep enough. I'm looking at picking up some eco complete and slowly switching it over

dan2x38

Quote from: pcole6765 on March 07, 2009, 08:10:24 AM
The gravel isn't deep enough. I'm looking at picking up some eco complete and slowly switching it over

IMO and I did it before only takes an afternoon... empty it and removed yucky blue gravel then add eco... buy more than you think you need you'd be surprised how much you really need... check Fish Tail I was there they other day they had some good deals on substrate... if they don't have enough they can order it... if you've never been there they great guys also a must visit! They will try to order you what you're looking for too... can always call they are a sponsor of the club... they were the sponsor who donated the tea cup aquarium & stand.
Voltaire:

pcole6765

I have another question. If I was to purchase a pendent type fixture that takes a regular 60 watt bulb, could I use that to light the aquarium and would it provide enough light for the plants instead of the florescent fixture that's on there now?

pcole6765

does anyone know if this will work?

dan2x38

The standard bulbs are not in the right light spectrum. there are many articles and sites dedicated to this topic here check thise out: http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/AquariumPlants.html http://www.rexgrigg.com/light.html The major plant guru: http://www.barrreport.com/
Voltaire: