Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Quick Fix for Leaky 10gal.

Started by GrahamWebb, March 06, 2009, 10:11:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrahamWebb

Hello...
want to pick up some silicon at the home depot in lieu of an aquarium shop in an attempt to save money.  Does anyone know which kind I should get and if Home Depot even sells an aquarium safe silicon?

Is it safe to perform this fix with the fry still on the tank, if I lower the water level? I have platie fry in it right now.

georgesa

People keep saying the GE Silicone I is safe for aquarium (although the tube says it's not.)  Do not use anything that says it's mildew resistant.

If you have a gun, buy a big tube of 100% pure silicone.  I got mine at Rona (their own brand) and it's states on the tube that it can be used for aquarium use.

I've never tried what you're attempting - however, I suspect that it'll work as long as the surface that needs to be caulked is dry and clean (scrape old caulk completely) and the fresh silicone does not touch you aquarium water.   Don't cover the aquarium and let the silicone cure properly before filling it back up.

Keep in mind though that while curing, it'll gas out, so it's probably better to move the fry to a temporary container.

If you care about things looking good, use masking tape and you'll get a straight line.

xiaan

Get the GE Silicone 1 (the blue one) should say for Windows & Doors.

KLKelly

Attending the ovas tank resealing workshop we learned silicone won't stick to silicone.  You have to reseal the tank to be completely safe.  I'd spend 15$ on a new tank honestly.  Save money on silicone.

georgesa

Quote from: KLKelly on March 06, 2009, 12:36:52 PM
Attending the ovas tank resealing workshop we learned silicone won't stick to silicone.  You have to reseal the tank to be completely safe.  I'd spend 15$ on a new tank honestly.  Save money on silicone.

I think KLKelly is referring to this ad in UsedOttawa.com

http://www.usedottawa.com/classified-ad/7078541

Sounds like a great deal.

pcole6765

I was just at Rona looking for some silicone to glue rocks together the guy in the paint department suggested the Marine Silicone...anyone familiar with this?