Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Substrate for Planted Tank

Started by smalltownfan, March 06, 2009, 12:46:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smalltownfan

I'm starting to take an inventory of supplies I'm going to need to start up a 33g planted. What would be my best choice for a substrate and where can I get the best price?

Thanking you in advance,
stf
FW Nano's 5g & 15g
Inverts & Micro fish

charlie

Quote from: smalltownfan on March 06, 2009, 12:46:11 PM
I'm starting to take an inventory of supplies I'm going to need to start up a 33g planted. What would be my best choice for a substrate and where can I get the best price?

Thanking you in advance,
stf
Wow , this smalltownfan is getting serious  ;D, tell us some more on what your intention of plants are going to be, if you are going to be doing some nice fine rooted carpet plants & other rooted plants & like the black colour as your substrate bed , then i`ll suggest flourite black or eco completeboth can be a bit costly, best price would be a good local LFS such as Big Al`s , Critter Jungle or Fish Tails all of which would be generous in offering a discount , since you are one of the persons that see it fit to subscribe to a OVAS membership  :D
There is also the red fluorite , but can be a bit messy on set up but yeild  equal results but not as fine root friendly as the others due to it`s grain size.
Hope that helps

Jeff1192

I have black flourite in my tank and love the look of it. It really makes the colours of the plants pop out.

Jeff
17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

fischkopp

I use eco complete, fluorite red (coarse) and fluorite black (fine, but not the sand). I don't like the red one for it's colour and size. The eco is ok, but I ended up with a bad badge, so it is not as black as I hoped it to be. Overall, fluorite black worked quite well for me, its grain size is more consistent. a bag of eco contains all sizes from 1mm to over 5mm wile fluorite black has chips of 2-3mm. Fluorite black is heavier and I find that that plant with fine roots, especially smaller foreground plants like hairgrass and blyxa for example, do not root very well. Planting in heavier grave is much easier though and stem plants and heavy root feeders flourish.

I have no experience with clay based substrates like the red sea stuff, but that will be next. These are supposed to be ideal for tiny plants with fine roots.

Did you consider the budget solution: black earth? Covered with your choice of gravel it will make a great substrate for crypts and swords, slow growers in general. Do not use it if you plan to aquascape every week, those earth clouds are nasty. :)
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

dan2x38

I use the Red Sea Flora base in one small tank it is a very nice llok but yoyu can't really vacuum it. I love the look of the black eco-complete or flourite black. I have th eflourite red in one tank but like the black one in my other tank... it does make the plant colours pop...

Like Fischkopp said there can be issues with the gravel size planting small plants like hair grass & japonica... you can put down a layer of flourite black sand toped with gravel either eco-complete or flourite... give something more for the roots to sink into. I would not do a complete sand substrate for plants though not good for aerating the roots.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."