Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Plant mania get together

Started by charlie, March 09, 2009, 10:05:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pcole6765

It's not so central but there's a Royal Oak on Blair, would be close to the highway and tons of parking.

Fishnut

What about the one on Hunt Club and Uplands?  It's a little far for me but there' lots of parking.

WaterNymph

how about a pub on Preston St.?  there is Pub Italia with 200 different types of beer or the Heart & Crown.  Not sure about the parking situation.

Jeff1192

Either Royal Oak (Blair or Hunt Club) work for me. I'd prefer the Blair one but I'm not too fussy either.
17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

Fishnut

Parking is an issue on both Preston and downtown at the Heart and Crown.

charlie

I`m partial to the Oak Hunt club, they have a Small room can seat 12 & 15 in a squeeze, also the Oak on Blair is smaller but no private room,they can however reserve a area , both have adequate parking

pcole6765

Hunt Club would be fine for us.

zima

I'm driving, so could get to any location (and could carpool people too).

Great idea to have a sell/exchange list, or "what I bring" and "what I want" kinda list. Maybe create a google spreadsheet, like the ones some members used for group orders? Folks could modify it with the plants they intend to bring and the ones they'd like to have.

pcole6765

I'd like to buy some plants but I don't really have any plants to sell or trade with anyone. Also I think we'd fail miserably at the quiz ???

Jeff1192

I agree that the sell/exchange/wish list would be a great idea too.

Jeff
17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

charlie

Quote from: pcole6765 on March 10, 2009, 05:17:07 PM
I'd like to buy some plants but I don't really have any plants to sell or trade with anyone. Also I think we'd fail miserably at the quiz ???
Don`t worry about failing, it`s a good reference you get to keep , no one is going to be marked ,we all go over it as a group & you correct your own. it`s fun.

smalltownfan

Quote from: zima on March 10, 2009, 03:12:10 PM
I'm driving, so could get to any location (and could carpool people too).

Hunt Club is better located, mid city for those coming from the east or the west. I'll be coming in from the south, Russell, and can give a lift to anyone along the way.
FW Nano's 5g & 15g
Inverts & Micro fish

dan2x38

Hunt Club sounds fine like Zima said driving so pretty much anywhere works. I'd be willing to car pool if someone needs a drive?

OH I think anyone can come out not just plant geeks... ;) great place to get an intro into the green world or just meet OVAS folks.

Maybe we could have a little draw. Put folks name on a slip of paper and draw for a plant. I'd donate something. OR something else interesting to make it a little exciting....  8) Or everyone bring something then sort of like the Christmas exchange who ever brings something participates... we draw names to see who starts to select a plant... the next can steal it and so on... ;) or would that cause a fight?  :D
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

smalltownfan

Quote from: dan2x38 on March 10, 2009, 08:35:49 PM
Or everyone bring something then sort of like the Christmas exchange who ever brings something participates... we draw names to see who starts to select a plant... the next can steal it and so on... ;) or would that cause a fight?  :D

hahahahaha (evil laugh) I want it all!! ....... :-[

but I'd be more than happy to get/buy/win a few things to try :)
FW Nano's 5g & 15g
Inverts & Micro fish

charlie

Ok, Royal Oak Hunt club on April 4th @ 4.00 PM, reservation made, will adjust as the #`s are confirmed closer to the date,
Chit chat , share experiences , help others starting out
group learning quiz
Plant trade, buy& sell, give away.
Perhaps a 50/50 draw - split winner/OVAS your thoughts?
Beer (cold of course), food , snacks & heck of a good time with folks interested in planted tanks
all welcomed , please continue to list your interest here .

zima

Quote from: dan2x38 on March 10, 2009, 08:35:49 PM

Maybe we could have a little draw. Put folks name on a slip of paper and draw for a plant. I'd donate something. OR something else interesting to make it a little exciting....  8) Or everyone bring something then sort of like the Christmas exchange who ever brings something participates... we draw names to see who starts to select a plant... the next can steal it and so on... ;) or would that cause a fight?  :D

That's a nice idea, Dan. Almost fair to everyone, fun, and at the end you get a plant. And surely plant geeks could bring a plant or two for the fun game. If there's a draw, I can donate a plant or two as well! This is promising to be a lot of fun.

Hope folks that have a slight interest in planted tanks come out too!!!

Fishnut

I would like to keep it a lot like the monthly breakfast, but with a few more tidbits.  The breakfast is very casual and easy going compared to a structured meeting, which is why I also like these side events.  I would rather not have the 50/50 draw and the prizes, etc. because it makes things competitive instead of fun.  It would, however, be a good time for people to pre-arrange some plant swaps or sales.  I don't want to sit through the bartering etc :).

I like the quiz idea though.  Whoever gets to compose the quiz will have to write down the references for the answers.  Since there are many ways of doing things in this hobby, we'll have the references to look up if any debate comes up!  The first topic should be "What plants to keep with low light and no CO2".  I'll get a good score for sure!! ;D

dan2x38

if there is a plant swap & sale that will encourage bartering... that is why I suggested a plant exchange each person bring one draw names to see who goes first...

a 50/50 in a pub might stir up something since they are actually illegal without a permit... not that that should stop anyone...  8)

instead of to much competition I think fun should be the goal... hopefully this will bring more out including those without plant knownledge...
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

charlie

Quote from: Fishnut on March 11, 2009, 12:04:01 AM
I would like to keep it a lot like the monthly breakfast, but with a few more tidbits.  The breakfast is very casual and easy going compared to a structured meeting, which is why I also like these side events.  I would rather not have the 50/50 draw and the prizes, etc. because it makes things competitive instead of fun.  It would, however, be a good time for people to pre-arrange some plant swaps or sales.  I don't want to sit through the bartering etc :).

I like the quiz idea though.  Whoever gets to compose the quiz will have to write down the references for the answers.  Since there are many ways of doing things in this hobby, we'll have the references to look up if any debate comes up!  The first topic should be "What plants to keep with low light and no CO2".  I'll get a good score for sure!! ;D

Agreed, the plant sell/buy trade take a free plant is not going to be a auction style, basically you bring or don`t bring, you interact one on one buy it ,take it or trade it, so there is no allocated time & structured trading session, very informal  ;)
The quiz , i`ll do it this time around, it`s a few question directly related to planted aquarium with 4 or 5 multiple choice answers, whoever wants to attempt it will tick their answer, we then have a peek at the correct answers make the corrections & keep it, that will then serve as a good reference , so basically no high/pass marks or competition.
I`m not in favour of bringing gifts to exchange , i think that is better served at a Xmas party etc, we will try to keep the emphasis for planted tank hobbyist to interact in a non structured atmosphere one on one , learning from each other, regardless of if you want to start, have just started or have been doing planted tanks since you were conceived  :D, This a bunch of hobbyist with a specific interest , getting together on their own accord, outside of the club`s program  ;)

pcole6765

I'm all for a 50/50, I think it's a great way for OVAS to raise money, and if it's illegal I promise not to tell ;)