Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Calcium

Started by washefuzzy, March 10, 2009, 11:27:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

washefuzzy

My snails need more calcium. If I throw a piece of cuttle fish bone in the tank will this change the PH of the water therefore affecting my cories?

Laura

Cuttlebone won't do much IMO.  I keep oystershell in my filter and have some dwarf cories in the same tank - everyone seems okay, but I realize their preference is for different parameters.

You could target feed some calcium - mine love Caltrate (blue and white bottle, without vitamin D) by Wyeth.  It's pricier than others, but someone at applesnail.net did taste tests and snails prefer it.  My shrimp go crazy for it too.

Drop a 1/2 tab into a place in the tank where there's not much water flow.
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

KLKelly

I have a big tub of calcium chloride chips that I'm using to reharden my RO water.  I don't use much in 50 gallons to help increase GH to 10 (I also use potassium chloride and epsom salt)

You can get it for 12$ at the pool store.  Much cheaper than buying things at the fish store.

Mermaid sells it.  I called and spoke to their chemist and its pure calcium chloride.

KLKelly

I don't know a thing about snails though.

dan2x38

Epsom Salts is magnesium sulphate so won't help your calcium issues. I use crushed coral in a filter for a tank with nerites & bumble bee snails plus amano shrimp. I have sterbai cories in the tank too. The cories even lay eggs and they are very healthy. There are also rummynose tetras and a couple of silver tip tetras they all like soft water. You can also use Seachem Equilibrium. If you would like I can give you some crushed coral I have a large bag. I have not added anymore for 6 months so the large bag will last a very long time. LMK
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

KLKelly

I only said epsom salts so people wouldn't think I was just using calcium to harden my water ;)  Sorry for the confusion. 

Feeding snails calcium is kind of cool.

washefuzzy

I saved other snails shells using cuttle fish bone it's just this time I was worried about the corries because they are so young.
The crushed corral sounds good Dan. I only have a ten gal so I suspect a little bit will go a long way. Thanks. :) :)
I'll see you at the meeting. If my corries are still doing well I can trade you a couple of bronze corries for the crushed corral.  :)

dan2x38

Quote from: washefuzzy on March 11, 2009, 12:23:38 AM
I saved other snails shells using cuttle fish bone it's just this time I was worried about the corries because they are so young.
The crushed corral sounds good Dan. I only have a ten gal so I suspect a little bit will go a long way. Thanks. :) :)
I'll see you at the meeting. If my corries are still doing well I can trade you a couple of bronze corries for the crushed corral.  :)

Thanks but I have no room for any more cories or fish period... LOL besides it is a large bag of coral so a handful will never be noticed... will bring to next meeting...
Voltaire:

Pamelajo

Like the others said crushed coral, oyster shell, calcium supplements will help.
I prefer oyster shell over crushed coral as it dissolves faster and diminishes as it dissolves, so you can tell when you need more. Where as crushed coral does not really dissolve.
I also use Kent's liquid calcium on water change days and more frequently in baby tanks.
I also use Dicalcium phospate in the home made food I make, which can also be fed straight.  I also use human calcium supplement in between feeding my home made food.
Giving them veggies high in calcium on a regular basis is a biggy.  You are what you eat. 
I also have corys, and have had no troubles with them in my snail tanks even though they like softer water, but they do not spawn in the snail tanks.  Hope this helps.

washefuzzy

Thank you for all the info.  :)

dan2x38

Kale is an amazing source of calcium. That is wild using calcium suppliments meant for us.

Washefuzzy still want the coral?
Voltaire:

washefuzzy

[
Washefuzzy still want the coral?
[/quote]

Yes Please Dan!  :)