Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Euthanasia

Started by KLKelly, March 12, 2009, 12:11:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KLKelly

Just to avoid thread stealing. Someone in a previous thread mentioned freezing a fish for euthanasia.  I think this is not a preferred approach to euthanasia especially with clove oil being so easy to find.  I can't change your minds if you are set on freezing sick fish.  Hopefully I can educate others.

I wish I could do the quick knife approach. Especially on the very sick dojo loach I euthanized last year. Not everyone is capable of this.

Here is an article from the Goldfish and Aquarium Board that I refer to often.  Our members are very attached to our fish and want to euthanize them humanely if the need ever arises.  Many members take their fish to aquatic vets.

http://thegab.org/Articles/Euthanasia.html

Clove oil - a member of ovas recently used clove oil to sedate a fish so that she could remove a cory from a goldfish mouth.
"Add 12 drops of Oil of Clove per 1 gallon (3.84 liters) of dechlorinated water. Oil of clove is very hard to mix so you may want to emulsify the clove oil by placing it in a smaller amount of water in a glass jar and shake well. Place the fish in a container large enough for it to move around freely along with an airstone on the highest setting and add the clove oil solution. The airstone will help keep the clove oil in solution. Once the fish turns on its side, watch the opercular movements (respiration/gill movements). The fish should be removed from the solution after at least ten minutes have passed since the last observed opercular movements (respiration/gill movements)."

Regarding freezing:
"Freezing is very painful to the fish as ice crystals are formed in the body tissue and bloodstream".

I know this topic has been discussed many times.  I think its a good one to address for new members.

KLKelly

Aquaviewer made this point just now in another thread (medicine cabinet):

QuoteWith regards to clove oil as an anesthetic the dose has to be adjusted for the fish as each species tends to respond differently.  In preparation for surgery and exams the fish should only be left in the bath until it has lost equilibrium (i.e. flips over) and has reduced opercular pumping, but has not stopped.  Also the clove oil solution needs to be administered while the fish is "on the table" to keep it sedated and supply the gills with some oxygenated water.  Otherwise it would be like a human going into surgery with on shot of general and having their head submerged in water for the procedure.

Good point.

http://ovas.ca/index.php?topic=34905.msg219070;topicseen#new

dan2x38

Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Dorrie

chima_p

Forgive me but I am at work and did not read the links posted so this may have been covered.  How exactly do we know clove oil is not painful for the fish?  It stings if you get it in your eyes why not the fish?  I am confused but I certainly am not trying to stir up a flame war.

KLKelly

I've wondered about this also.  This is why I bought finquel.  I'll ask on the GAB forum and see what they say also.

dan2x38

Quote from: KLKelly on March 12, 2009, 04:49:38 PM
I've wondered about this also.  This is why I bought finquel.  I'll ask on the GAB forum and see what they say also.

Where did you get your Finquel? How much was it?

Clove oil has been used for decades in surgery for fish. You use a small dose then increase it to euthanize. If they were in distress or in pain they would thrash around, swim rapidly, rapid gill movement, etc.
Voltaire:

KLKelly

I wonder what the loach forum recommends for euthanasia.  Its been a long while since I visited them.  The loach I euthanized with clove oil is something I will never do again.  He was distressed.  I'll try and remember to look it up.

I got a friend to ship it to me from the US.  I ordered it from Dr. Foster and Smith.  Its legal up here without a prescription and goes by MS-222.  I just couldn't buy it in small quantities.  I had her send it with the canadian purchase info and data sheet so if it was stopped at the border they wouldn't confiscate it. Edit.... and Dr. Foster and Smith wanted to charge $60 for shipping.

Laura

Here's a link to Emma's article from Loaches.com
http://www.loaches.com/disease-treatment/going-on-up-to-the-fishtank-in-the-sky

She recommends the clove oil / koi calm and similar products.
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

KLKelly

Thanks for the link Laura :)

Aquaviewer

Quote from: KLKelly on March 12, 2009, 07:52:47 PM
Its legal up here without a prescription and goes by MS-222. 

Many researchers are moving away from the use of MS222 as it is a known carcinogen and its use is banned in many places, predominantly in situations where fish could be used as food (admittedly not typically the case for aquarium keepers).  This is one of the reasons the use of clove oil has gained popularity.

Your loach was not pleased with the treatment as most scaleless fishes are very sensitive to water conditions such as the addition of medications, oils and alcohols.
Rainbows, plecos, corydoras, killifish, Apistogramma

Agnate

I have used the method that dan described/linked.  Personally, I prefer this over only using clove oil, as it takes a LOT of clove oil to actually kill a fish.

Also, I seriously doubt that a super-fast knife cut is the least painful.  I'm pretty sure that losing your head would still cause massive pain.

dan2x38

Quote from: Agnate on March 13, 2009, 12:14:30 PM
Also, I seriously doubt that a super-fast knife cut is the least painful.  I'm pretty sure that losing your head would still cause massive pain.

Agreed not my first choice. I had nothing else on hand but had to euthanize the fish. I did not like doing it. It is still better than flushing or freezing.

For loaches I think using a low dose of clove oil then increase the strength as it becomes more sedated.

I now have 95% pure alcohol on hand - grain alcohol (ethanol). NEVER use rubbing alcohol! You can buy the pure alcohol at the (SAQ) Quebec Liquor Store under Alcool. There are 2 strengths you want the 190 proof. It is 95% alcohol & 5% water.
Voltaire: