Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Odyssea Fixtures

Started by Loraloo, March 15, 2009, 09:36:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loraloo

Anybody ever heard of Odyssea Power compact fixtures??? Any opinions, are they any good???
Thanks for the feedback!

yellowtang

I had few Odissea fixtures when I 1st started the S/W.....hobby
Since I never had the chance to use them for longer than 3 months each,
I can only tell you that they are cheaply made since their bulbs and ballast
are clearly made in China.....Keep in mind most products from this hobby are now
being manufactured in china with some quality craftmanship as well as cheap
craftmanship (global economics)....
going back to Odissea.....if you are just going for some basic corals I believe
PCs would be a good start...as far as the Odsa fix you clearly get what you pay for.
try www.aquatraders.com for a whole list of Odsa products
cheers
120g REEF Upgrading to a 180g soon
38G REEF

alexv

I currently have two Odyssea fixtures - a 48" 4x55 W and a 36" 2x96". Both of them have a row of moonlight (4 and 3 high intensity blue LEDs respectively) and two fans each for cooling. I've had them for a couple years now. Fairly happy with them.

I did have to modify them. They have only one cord, so I can't imagine how this can be used on a timer. So I changed the 36" one by adding one more cord and for 48" I added two. I also added a relay in each. The basic idea is that the main cord just powers the fans, transformers and LEDs. The second cord powers the ballast and the bulbs (and the third cord on the 48" powers the second ballast and the second pair of bulbs). I connected the relay to the second cord and it switches the power between the fans and LEDs. So, the first cord is always powered. It feeds the juice to the low voltage transformer for moonlight LEDs. When the second cord is powered up, it also powers up the relay which switches the power from the LEDs to the fans, so the fans come on and moon lights go out... The third cord on 48" doesn't do anything special other than powering the second pair of bulbs...

Everything worked out pretty well :)
220g FW Community planted: SAE (5), Puntius denisonii (4), clown loach (2), Yoyo loach (3), kuhli loach (3), otocinclus affinis (2), rummynose tetra (3), harlequin rasbora (17), rope fish (1), glass catfish (3), bamboo shrimp (2), upside-down catfish (2), Chinese algae eater (2), rubber-lipped pleco (2), cherry shrimp (many)

55g FW Community planted: Black ghost knifefish (2), Armored bichir (2), banjo catfish (2),  Rosy tetra (2)

Loraloo

Yeah, the one I'm looking at is a 24" and it has three cords. Although I believe one is for the compact fluorescents/fan, another for the actinic and then the last one for the leds. I'm not decided whether or not I'm going to try it out or not. Right now I have a 96w coralife fixture over my 20 gallon...

dpatte

i found the fixtures to be fairly poor, but the lights to be great.
1 210g Asian Community planted fast water tank: balas, tiger & black ruby barbs, red-tail black shark, rainbows, loaches, SAEs, gold CAEs, 1500GPH river flow, plus 1500gph filtration.
1 75g African planted tank: 3 synos (had them since the 90s), yellow labs, kribensis.
1 40g breeder, silicone-divided into two - quarantine and nursery.

kole18

i've got 36'' HQI 250w not that good as the other fixture still mannaged to grow some sps just for now im currently changing into dimable ballast this week. one of my co-worker he's using odysee 48'' dual mh 250 upgrade to 2 t5 actinic, dimable ballast coralvue looks great on his tank right now apparently like the color of his corals. you know all you need is the fixture , ballast anytime you can apgraded.

mikerobart

Some pretty decent reviews of them on rc. Obviously not a giesemann, sunlight supply, aquamedic, ati, sfiligoi ... Can still grow coral.

At the minimum go with the t5's. Integrated timer... Good reviews. Not bad on a budget but you can always check the classifieds for good deals as well.

johnrt

Decent reviews or not, the problem seems to be finding a supplier. http://aquatraders.com/ shows all Odyssea fixtures, and most of their other products, as 'Out of Stock", even the higher priced MH setups. But they are still shown as 'Featured Products".

Kinda mixed message.

There are also none currently listed on eBay either.

Anybody know of a supplier?

mikerobart

Other than ebay or aquatraders I haven't heard of any. Have also heard that out of stock mention on RC... there is a big thread in the lighting filtration other equip thread.. worth a look.

bojon

First of all, my command on the Odyssea CF lighting is good overall. I bought mine a few years back on ebay because of its attractive price. I have no problem at all and I am still using it. Mine is a 2x65W CF.

A month ago, I decided to buy another fixture, a T5HO, and my first choice was Odyssea. As previous member said, there is no supplier other than aquatraders in NA. However, I found this supplier is horrible to deal with even though their price is very very cheap. What happen is that, I want to buy their 48" 4xT5HO, which only cost US$109 ..very good deal right? so I asked them how much is the shipping, and first they quoted me $55. OK, no bad, but they said if the light bulb is broken during shipping, they will not responsible for it because bulbs are listed as FREE item on their site. Then I asked if I can change the bulbs that come with it to a different spectrum (because I use it for my fresh water planted tank, not saltwater), they said no again for the same reason, "bulbs are free".

I didn't go for it and went to shop around. However, I did some math and found out even if I have to buy my own bulbs, the total cost is still a reasonable deal if I go with Odyssea. So I go back to aquatraders and place the order. Then, u know what, they jacked up the shipping free to $75. I asked them why, they told me they have to ship the light bulbs in a different package. So I asked them immediately, is that mean they will responsible for the bulbs during shipping...AND..the answer is NO. So, why the hell they do this? I can't figure it out and I can only feel that they are not someone I want to deal with..so I go for another system at the end.

sorry for the long message....

Vincenzo.

Im treading the water/money .. And 4months ago bought their fixture for 99$ the 150MH+28w T5HO... it came to 150 i think after shipping and customs and conversion. Everything was shipped together. No problems with wireing. U get what u pay for..its cheap fixture, okay bulbs .. But its okay and i have no probs with it. Just need to upgrade the MH bulb.

dpatte

about 6 years back i bought 4 CF odyssea fixtures.
1 6 foot
1 5 foot
2 4 foot

Within 3 months 2 had burnt balasts, and one had caught on fire (really). Most of their fans didnt work, or where very noisy. After the fire, i threw them all out, not wanting to risk anything else.

But i always liked the CF bulbs and have used them ever since, until i recently ran out of the 55/65W ones.
1 210g Asian Community planted fast water tank: balas, tiger & black ruby barbs, red-tail black shark, rainbows, loaches, SAEs, gold CAEs, 1500GPH river flow, plus 1500gph filtration.
1 75g African planted tank: 3 synos (had them since the 90s), yellow labs, kribensis.
1 40g breeder, silicone-divided into two - quarantine and nursery.

new2salt

Can anyone who currently owns or has owned an Odyssea Lighting fixture tell me,

Do they have any type of electrical certification - recognized in Canada - IE: ULC - CSA approval?

If not, I wouldn't touch these items.

If you have an electrical fire incident, and fire inspectors or insurance investigators discover equipment in question - not compliant with Canadian Standards - you may find your insurance company leaving you to deal with your losses - and you may also be FINED by the Ontario Fire Marshals office.

STAY AWAY from equipment that does not meet Canadian Codes and Standards

Quote from: dpatte on March 04, 2010, 12:47:19 PM
about 6 years back i bought 4 CF odyssea fixtures.
1 6 foot
1 5 foot
2 4 foot

Within 3 months 2 had burnt ballasts, and one had caught on fire (really). Most of their fans didnt work, or where very noisy. After the fire, i threw them all out, not wanting to risk anything else.

Smart move dpatte