Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Manzanita slime coat

Started by dan2x38, March 27, 2009, 10:52:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dan2x38

I soaked my Manzanita Wood for a couple days then added it to a couple South American breeder tanks before my display tanks. A day or so later I noticed this strange clear slime coating over the entire piece the other didn't have it. I pulled it out. The other piece enventually did the same. They are soaking in a sink for now. I was a bit concerned so did a little searching. From Brite Cube Aquariums I found this:

*Please note, Manzanita is a natural wood product and some pieces will release a thin, milky-coloured, slime coating that can be confused with snail eggs. While unsightly, this is completely normal and affects many hardwoods as they soak. There is nothing to worry about and the coating will dissipate in a few weeks. It is chemically neutral and completely non-toxic to all fish and inverts. Shrimp, ottos, and plecos love to eat this natural slime coating while it lasts. If your pieces are affected, we suggest you remove them and pre-soak in a separate container until the costing disapates.

And man do they ever stain the water but does little to the pH. Other wood I've added has never made the water this dark. Still awesome wood and a great deal.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Nerine

Manzanita is awesome wood :)
"explodes" when burning ;)

you'll have to post some photos of it in your tank!
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

fischkopp

Quote from: dan2x38 on March 27, 2009, 10:52:12 PM
And man do they ever stain the water but does little to the pH. Other wood I've added has never made the water this dark. Still awesome wood and a great deal.

It does stain the water. Maybe it was just the amount of wood that I was soaking in the bathtub for 1-2 weeks until it - finally - sunk, but there was quite a bit of scrubbing involved as it came out of there ...  :D
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

dan2x38

Fischkopp did yours get a slime coat? If so for how long?

Nerine these pieces are way cool... will post for sure. I need a piece of slate I want to have one stand up looks like a perfect little tree.
Voltaire:

Brine

The same thing happened with the Curly Willow that I used in my 90G before I changed it to an African tank. The slime lasted longer than I would have liked....about three weeks or so. The plecos I had seemed indifferent to it but it didn't bother any of the fish. It just looked ugly for a while.

fischkopp

Quote from: dan2x38 on March 29, 2009, 09:43:15 AM
Fischkopp did yours get a slime coat? If so for how long?

Probably, but I didn't really care for it since its harmless any only happens initially.
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

Adam

Quote from: fischkopp on March 29, 2009, 12:28:18 AM
It does stain the water. Maybe it was just the amount of wood that I was soaking in the bathtub for 1-2 weeks until it - finally - sunk, but there was quite a bit of scrubbing involved as it came out of there ...  :D

Haha Robert, I did the same for a bathtub full for only a couple hours.  I could see exactly where the water line was after I drained it.
150 Gallon Mbuna: 2 M. baliodigma, 5 Ps. sp. "Deep Magunga", 3 L. caeruleus, 3 Ps. demasoni, 1 P. Spilotonus 'Albino Taiwan Reef', 2 C. afra "Cobue", 2 Ancistrus sp.-144, 5 Ps. Acei, 1 Albino Ancistrus spp. L-144, Various fry

20 Gallon Long Reef: 1 Gramma melacara, 1 Pseudocheilinus hexataenia, 2 Lysmata amboinensis, 2 Lysmata wurdemanni, snails, hermits, crabs, mushrooms, SPS, rare zoanthids, palythoas, ricordea, favites, cloves, acans, candycanes leathers

dan2x38

I soaked both pieces in the sink changing the water a couple times a day. After a week plus it was still dark. I started boiling them in a large pot man the water was almost purple black. It has been 2 days of boiling and still dark water... Wow this stuff is strange... the colour is not tea colour either more like wine seriuosly. I love the pieces I got but will not add them to a tank yet would make it way to stained.

Anyone else added their wood yet?
Voltaire:

psychwolf

I had a couple big pieces and added them after a week. I had no discoloring and no slime coat. I have been following this thread and been watching closely to see if something was going to happen, but nothing.

dan2x38

The one with all the tannins has a large root ball. I think it is the source. Today still boiling it, still swaping water and dark as hell. But I can't wait to get it in there it is an amazing piece. The other one I have in the sink it is almost clear water finally...  :D
Voltaire:

sas

You may want to think of drilling a hole into the root ball and seeing if you've
got a cavity filled with gunk ie) insects,( hopefully dead since I think this stuff came in from the states)
and debris?
Drill where it won't be noticed, say on an underside.
You could be dealing with a wood burl, think that's the spelling,
very cool for woodworkers like my hubby but not good for fish tanks.
Just a thought :).

chima_p

I remember that that piece had a purplish stain on one of the branches like it had been dropped in grape juice.  ???

It was one of the most unique pieces.

I am putting water in my tank tonight.  I will report any issues.

dan2x38

Quote from: chima_p on April 03, 2009, 10:46:05 AM
I remember that that piece had a purplish stain on one of the branches like it had been dropped in grape juice.  ???

It was one of the most unique pieces.

I am putting water in my tank tonight.  I will report any issues.

Any of yours have the root ball on them? The branchy one was not to bad. I am going to post some pics of that one it is unique too... actually all driftwood is.

Ready for plants yet?
Voltaire:

chima_p

Yes I have a root ball left.  It is going in the turtle tank though.  That won't be ready for a little bit especially since I have to look into turtle breeders for Reeves turtles.

I just went out and bought some Prime from BA Kanata so I can add water tonight.  I also purchased a bag of cuttings for a temp-scape last night with some ferts for EI dosing.  After I am cylcled and things have settled down with a CO2 system I will definatly be looking for quality plants.  I am also getting some cool mosses from Zima, perhaps prematurely but I could not pass up that opportunity!

smalltownfan

Quote from: dan2x38 on April 02, 2009, 12:02:58 AM
.. Wow this stuff is strange... the colour is not tea colour either more like wine seriuosly. I love the pieces I got but will not add them to a tank yet would make it way to stained.
Anyone else added their wood yet?

I took one of the long branches and since my tank isn't ready yet I put it in with the cichilds to soak. No colour at all. I think it may have something to to with the fact that it is a root ball.

Quote from: sas on April 02, 2009, 03:18:05 PM
You may want to think of drilling a hole into the root ball and seeing if you've
got a cavity filled with gunk ie) insects,( hopefully dead since I think this stuff came in from the states) and debris?

Sue...gee thanks, I just had a visual of some horror sci-fi  ;D
FW Nano's 5g & 15g
Inverts & Micro fish

chima_p

So, I filled my tank with water Friday night.  The large branch like piece that had a very light colour turned a bit darker and one side of one branch turned purple!  Haha I guess we will see if my tank turns too wine.  The piece looks very nice under the T5HO!

dan2x38

It is awesome looking under water with good lighting. My larger piece with the root ball is starting to leach a little less wine... LOL might be ready soon.
Voltaire:

chima_p

Day 4 for me.  No leech, no slime coat, no sink hah!

dan2x38

Well yesterday took the root ball one out of the pot added to the sink. Over night it hardly affect the water. ready to go now just got to figure out where it goes...  :D Took 2 weeks of soaking & boiling.
Voltaire: