Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Fertilizing?

Started by Steve_2, April 01, 2009, 02:48:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fischkopp

Quote from: Steve_2 on April 04, 2009, 12:51:32 PM
Robert, what do you mean increased organic waste?

Excel itself is some kind of organic mixture (the label says something like organic carbon). In addition, whatever was killed by excel and turned the water pinkish in your tank would also increase the organics.

Corys might not be the ideal inhabitants for a discus tank since they like the water more on the colder side with a fair amount of oxygen (might have gotten depleted too).
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

Steve_2

Good point Robert. Do you have any recommendations for "bottom feeders" to replace the cories? Or is there some hardier species of corydoras that might be more appropriate? I've often heard that they don't do well in the warm water of a discus tank. On the other hand, I do keep my water fairly cool for a discus tank since I am not interested in breeding them or getting them to grow as fast as possible. I keep my water at only 85F.

Would adding an long airstone with a powerful airpump help with my water circulation? Or do I need something better than that? Maybe a canister filter(Since I want to increase filtration too) with a water return (spray bar) positioned on the lower half of the tank would be a better choice?