Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

changing your substrate

Started by Thumpya, April 02, 2009, 07:42:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thumpya

This topic is based on "cichlidicted's" topic. So say I did go ahead and buy the silica,  Do you guys out there think it would be a nuisance to change out my original gravel? If not, what would be my best course of action in doing so?

(Ah maybe this should be moved to General Discussion ;) )

Nerine

yep it is a pain to change out the old gravel lol

with the 55g...emptied it of fish, scrubbed it down, took out all the rocks and added sand, waited a few days (I was too lazy to rinse the sand properly) had a few filters running on it to clear up the water, put the original filter back on (most of the water was also original water) re-added fish and everything was fine...it was like I did a major water change, kept the old filter media and most of the water. but I love my white sand and won't go back!!
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

elk

all depends on how big the aquarium is.
I changed mine yesterday to pool filter sand only 8.00 for 50 pounds
Will never go back gravel

limmer

Does anyone run Undergravel filters with sand?
How do you clean sand with a python?

elk

I read when using a python to clean sand, rather than jamming the tube into the sand just run it over the top surface and the pressure will pick up the poop.