Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

WALMART FISH DEPT.

Started by elk, April 08, 2009, 08:38:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elk

I went to the walmart pharmacy at southkeys today and decided to check out their aquariums for fun as Walmart has a bad rep for fish.
Well I was totally surprised,all their tanks super clean with healthy fish and could not believe the prices.
Lots of african cichlids for 5.00
4 inch columbian sharks for 3.99
full grown giant danios 1.50
large cories 1.50
irredessant sharks 5.50

The only problem I found there were no employees around the whole time I was there. ::)

PMurphy

While its great that you found a Walmart that takes good care of their fish, there are still many concerns to be had with fish from any box store, especially Walmart which dabbles a bit into everything, possibly doing nothing right.

Their prices are usually low due to the massive farms they get their fish from. Farms that are notorious for caring little about the problems of cross breeding and genetic integrity. To say nothing of culling unsuitable specimens and ensuring a quality product.

Its great that there is a Walmart with staff (albeit a small one) that takes pride in their jobs, but it is still possible to match those prices from local breeders and ensure a much better fish at the same time.

Just my 2 cents
55g Mbuna Tank 11 Saulosi, 4 Albino Socolofi
29g Biocube Reef

dan2x38

They did clean up that dept. BUT all those fish are tank busters. Rarely is there anyone working there that knows anything about the fish they sell. :( They shouldn't even carry them. I saw a Walmart in Pembroke last summer that was very nice very clean and cool selection of fish caught me totally of guard.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

bergenm

QuoteTheir prices are usually low due to the massive farms they get their fish from. Farms that are notorious for caring little about the problems of cross breeding and genetic integrity. To say nothing of culling unsuitable specimens and ensuring a quality product.

Not that I agree with them carrying fish, but I believe their fish come from the same wholesaler that supplies PetSmart and most of the other LFS.

They just operate on a 12% margin while everyone else has a 66% margin...
Michael

tartan101

I have talked to the guy who takes care of their fish at southkeys. He seems knowledgeable and actually cares about the fish & their health. I bought 2 angelfish from there that have grown up to be quite healthy & beautiful!

--Lisa

elk

From what I saw today, I would buy from Walmart over Petsmart.

Aghad

Am a guy tht lives in walking distance from southkeys wallmart .... i pass by that fish department like once a week ....
MY OPINION, the cichlids are of low quality.. most of them are in-breds ... i have to say i personally buy red zebra cichlids from there ... but i choose them carefully ... i watch the fish for marks that shouldn't be there ... some yellow labs are just not yellow !!  I watch the fish closely ... and when i decide which fish i want i then wait for 45 minutes until someone comes to help me out .... one time i literally took the net and bag and was trying to pull out a pleco until the manager saw me and went mad....

When it comes to other fishes its probably not that important to know if they are pure breed or not... i mean like goldfish, bettas, sharks, barbs, pleco, etc ... as long as you like the fish then all else doesn't matter.

However, i have to say ... i still like going there for the cheap prices ... and sometimes they carry a good selection of fish ... but make sure you dont buy newly arrived fish.. cause most probably they'll die.... give them a couple of days before you buy them... saves you money and headache.

Thank you

fishsticks

Someone at wal-mart told me they will be phasing out the live stock at all wal-mart stores just a heads up folks  :)
they will soon not be selling freshwater fish to bad some of them are real nice and cheap :-[
200 g ,1 yellow tang,, 1 royal gramma,1 tomato clown,1 percula clown, ,,1 three stripe damsel,2 green cromis,2 scissor cromis, 5 cleaner shrimp,,1 coral bandit shrimp...coral.....

elk

Buying newly arrived fish goes for any store.

Edith

I would want to find out wear there fish are coming from first. They look ok in the store but when you get them home they die a few days later. I say this because it has happen to me 3 times. So now I just raise the angels I have and try to sell there baby's.  I no there healthy and my buyers will be happy.

sas

Quote from: dan2x38 on April 08, 2009, 09:54:05 PM
They did clean up that dept. BUT all those fish are tank busters. Rarely is there anyone working there that knows anything about the fish they sell. :( They shouldn't even carry them. I saw a Walmart in Pembroke last summer that was very nice very clean and cool selection of fish caught me totally of guard.

Yep this store has a decent fish section but as others have said most fish are oddballs and not for the new fish owner.
When this store first started up I thought the tanks were even too clean, but the gentleman in charge
knows his stuff and you can tell he really "cares" for the fish.
They often get decent plants in as well.

I don't buy from many lfs anymore, like Edith mentioned buying from private
breeders is a better option in my opinion.

beowulf

Quote from: dan2x38 on April 08, 2009, 09:54:05 PM

How are they all tankbusters?  A couple are, but I agree more with SAS's assesment that they tend to carry oddballs.  That being said I cannot remember the last time I bought a new fish....stupid african's won't stop breeding I have to many as it is.

Edith

I no what you are talking about your fish haveing babys all the time. I have2 55 gal with dividers one pair on each side they lay every week as soon as the first batch are free swimmers. I have to say lol they look after all the baby even if there not there own  little once go from side to side. The other tanks there is only on pair in ech tank. I have 5 big tanks lol

Cbellehumeur

I've also talked the the people at walmart (who were fairly knowledgeable) and they don't take care of there own fish ...they hire an external company to come in and clean and take care of the fish. The only thing they do is feed and scoop out dead ones.

Rob Labonte

Quote from: Cbellehumeur on April 09, 2009, 05:25:31 PM
I've also talked the the people at walmart (who were fairly knowledgeable) and they don't take care of there own fish ...they hire an external company to come in and clean and take care of the fish. The only thing they do is feed and scoop out dead ones.

oh man, the guy who has that  contract is one lucky guy. as long as they continue to carry fish and as long as walmart continues to take over the world. lol