Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Cycling with Seeded media

Started by Stussi613, April 09, 2009, 12:45:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dan2x38

Your concerns are on track. The readings could be pointing to an uncycled tank. Stay the course like you said and keep testing. Did you just do a WC? Strange the NO3 disappeared.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

charlie

Hi there can you say how long  you ran the bio media you got from garnpet without any fish in the tank, i`m assuming after picking up the bio media you went straight home & placed it in your tank.

Stussi613

Hi,

I picked up the media from garnpet last Wednesday afternoon, put it in within an hour of getting it and ran the tank empty until Thursday evening.

Quote from: charlie on April 14, 2009, 08:47:52 AM
Hi there can you say how long  you ran the bio media you got from garnpet without any fish in the tank, i`m assuming after picking up the bio media you went straight home & placed it in your tank.

I haz reef tanks.

Stussi613

No water changes since starting the tank last week.  I wanted to give the bacteria a chance to build up without removing any of the water.

Quote from: dan2x38 on April 14, 2009, 08:33:52 AM
Did you just do a WC? Strange the NO3 disappeared.
I haz reef tanks.

charlie

Quote from: Stussi613 on April 14, 2009, 09:10:21 AM
Hi,

I picked up the media from garnpet last Wednesday afternoon, put it in within an hour of getting it and ran the tank empty until Thursday evening.

There is a chance you might have lost most if not all of the bio bugs, what is confusing is your first set of test findings , tend to suggest some sort of cycle/bio bug presence & then your second test results suggest nothing is present .

dan2x38

Quite a big tank for that small shoal. Maybe they were unable to feed the filter enough? I'd stay the course for now and play the hurry up and wait and see... LOL big part of this hobby is waiting - patence... which by the way I do not have a lot of...  ::)
Voltaire:

Stussi613

I'm no expert, but the consensus seems to be that 10x 1-1.5" danios is a pretty good load for a 60gal to cycle.  I'm going to start feeding them more and take another nitrate reading in the morning.

Thanks for all of your advice guys, really appreciate it.

Quote from: dan2x38 on April 14, 2009, 03:26:25 PM
Quite a big tank for that small shoal. Maybe they were unable to feed the filter enough? I'd stay the course for now and play the hurry up and wait and see... LOL big part of this hobby is waiting - patence... which by the way I do not have a lot of...  ::)
I haz reef tanks.

KLKelly

I think with that many danios you should be showing at least ammonia.  I have two teeny tiny fish in a 20 gallon and it was a miserable time cycling - ammonia and nitrite levels kept spiking on me and it was constant water changes until I could just use salt for the nitrites once ammonia backed off.  (Edit - my evil water probably still is a factor even though it goes through an RO unit and has 0TDS)

What is your ph/kh?  I've just found out that a ph crash could cause a cycle crash also.  I didn't know this before last week.

washefuzzy

Yes Kelly but he has started from seeded material it makes a difference than starting from scratch.

KLKelly

From what I learned last week, it can happen even in a fully cycled tank.  Just throwing ideas out there. I don't think that is what happened here though but just brainstorming.  Maybe just complicating things.  I do that well.

Other ideas - did you dechlorinate the water before adding the cycled media?

washefuzzy

Aren't we all just brainstorming.  ;)

Stussi613

yes, de-chlorinated the water and left it for 24 hours before turning on the filter with the seeded media in it...I even used a little extra since I can almost see the Britannia Water Treatment plant from the back of my house.  If the chloramine levels are going to be high anywhere it's in the first neighborhood the water gets to   ;D
I haz reef tanks.

dan2x38

Voltaire: