Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

whats a good canadian plant mail order site?

Started by Michael88, June 08, 2005, 06:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael88

im stocking my 20g with some plants but i live in the country so the oly way i can get some plant is to get them shipped. ive had a hard time finding aquarium plant mail order sites from canada. help?

BigDaddy

Let us know what your looking for... maybe the forum members can help out.

Michael88

banana plants, anubias,java moss, riccia, crypts, swords,vals and java ferns

BigDaddy

Most people on the board usually have java fern and moss available or for sale...

Anyone got some?

yellowtang

Hello.
I got lots of java fern.....which is still very young........I found the hard way that this sort of plants don't need lots of light......so I removed them from my main heavy planted tank into a low light
tank..........as far as price I really don't know what the price should be.......any ideas.? 8)
120g REEF Upgrading to a 180g soon
38G REEF

Michael88

they were selling giant java ferns on www.aquariumplants.com
for 5$ but i really dont know. they make it in mass quentities.im going too big als east at the end of the month. do they have a nice selection?how much do they sell their stuff?

BigDaddy

Big Al's plant selection can be touch and go.  Depends on if you get there when they receive a new shipment or not.

mseguin

Our plants are generally 5.99 per pot (or bunch for stem plants) with a few variations for some kinds. Buy 3 get 4th free. Right now our selection is pretty good, quite a few species.

yellowtang

hello there msaguen!!!!!!!! sound like magazine or messanger!!
just being foolish here.
anyways!!!!!!!!Have you got any shippment of Madagascar lace by any chance?
still looking for some!!!!!!!!!. 8)
38G REEF

jetstream

Hi Yellowtang!

If you like I can sell you mine! It's waking up from dormant period. Will flower soon if it follow it's own  history. It grow too big for my tank. Asking 20 dollars.

yellowtang

First of all.......you got really nice Nick "Jetstream"
quite unique I guess you must go with the flow!!!!
About your Madagascar Lace..........I would be quite interested!!!!
but what do you mean dormant stage?.
have you by any chance have pictures........and by the way how big do they get? in what size of tank you have it in?
I have a 55g tank which It will go in......
tanks for you offer!!!!!!!!!! 8)
rsvp.
38G REEF

gvv

Quote from: "yellowtang"but what do you mean dormant stage?
Some info you can find here: http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/Plants/madagascar.html

But in short as all Aponogeton plants, it has sleeping/dormant stage, when there are no leaves and only one bulb. After some "rest" it switch to active grow stage.
Just for info - VERY demanding plant: "According to a major European plant grower, about 90% of plants collected fail to thrive in aquariums even under the best of conditions, while the remaining 10% settle in and can grow into a magnificent display."

After some reading I decided not to try it unless I will have decent tanks for it - it can grow up to 80cm high.

Regards

jetstream

Sorry everybody, looks like I'm off topic/hijacked this forum all the time. Will stop posting on this forum after this one.

Thanks Gvv helped me answered Yellowtang's question.

Yellowtank:

I hope the jetstream could suck in more wet green thumbs, so that the small stream will becomes a big river one day!  :D

I didn't have my digital camera with me now, I can send it to you thru PM if you like. I have the plant in my 100 gallons long. THe leaves are/were from 12-18 inches long. I guess your tank's parameters will affect your plants differently. Lace plant is one of my favor plants, but the matured leaves will blocked the light to its tank mates, that's why I'm considering letting it go. I gues you couldn't have everything all together!

Regards