Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

New 55 gal. with Eheim 2215 Questions

Started by GrahamWebb, May 11, 2009, 10:13:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrahamWebb

Hello,
I'm setting up my first "big" tank, and I use quotations because I think it's the smallest of the "big" tanks.
anyway it's 4 feet long and I'm almost done the initial preparations but need help hooking up the Eheim.  I found out how to plumb it, that's under control.

My question is about positioning the spray bar and J tube with strainer.  should I attach the spray bar to the back glass?  or can I attach it to the side of the tank, creating a current down the length of the tank.  do Mbua cichlids like a little current?  I could add a power head.  Should the spray bar and j tube w/ strainer be at opposite sides of the tank or in the middle?

I've made a background of rock silicon-ed to black plastic real estate sign material, so I'm going to silicon the suction cups of the various aquarium appliances to the rock since there is no exposed glass at the back of the tank.
this is why I need to make sure I position everything right the first time if you know what I mean.

cichlidicted

I actually bought one of eheim filters recently .. didn't get the chance to install it yet....
Two options are available i believe.

First, Installing the spray bar and the suction tube on the back glass. If this is done, i prefer having the spray bar vertically on one side of the aquarium and the suction tube on the other... creating a circular flow kind of thing.

Second, installing the the spray bar and the suction tube on the side glass... some ppl prefer having the sides clear for viewing purposes.. If you did this, its better if the spray bar would be horizental set to cover a wider area.... and the suction tube facing it on the other side...

Anyways this is only my opinion... at the end its your tank .... by time u'll figure out what setup would fit you best.
goodluck.