Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Ideas

Started by mseguin, May 28, 2009, 05:33:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mseguin

There are a few threads rolling around here with ideas in them, but I wanted to try and get them all in one spot.  Something I think is important to the new and returning Execs for next year, is trying to give this club a boost.  This thread is for members and non-members alike.  Because ultimately we want to see those non-members become members. Even if you're repeating yourself, please post.  I'll be printing this thread and bringing it to the final Exec meeting of this year (where the old and the new Execs get together) to be discussed and earmarked for action in September. We can't promise we'll follow up on all of them, but we definitely will discuss them.
Mostly I'd like to hear ideas about improving the club itself, what you'd like to see at meetings (or you've liked in the past), events you'd like to do, speakers you really want to see, road trips!, etc. that would make you want to come out or would make it fun.  OR what would maybe make you want to join our community if you currently are not a member. Try to be specific, ie don't say more saltwater speakers, say John Doe is a great speaker, etc. Also, let's keep it positive please.

fischkopp

Thanks for starting this thread!

There are lots of good ideas in here. I would suggest to bing a printout of that discussion, too.
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

tskinner

Feature tank of the month thread......Theres a thread on here somewhere already about it.....

RoxyDog

Great idea Matt.  ;)

The thread linked by Robert does have some good ideas, some of which have already been discussed and either are implemented or will be.  :)  Also, that thread does have the "tank of the month" idea in it (which is a great idea) and I hope to see it work.

Can we try to concentrate on the club itself, or meetings, etc and not so much on the website?  If you've never been to a meeting, and assuming you have the time, what would make you come to one and mingle with the other fish geeks?   8)
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

bitterman

Not sure if this is feasible but would be cool if we could have people virtually attend the meetings. Sorta like companies do web casts

-Web Video feed
-chat at the same time for feed back
-Not sure if we could setup a line people could call in for questions for speakers

*This due to cost my not be an option....
*Would allow people out of town or not within traveling distance to virtually attend meetings.
*Might broaden membership area
*Not sure how/if they could bid on auction items.

Bruce

charlie

Quote from: RoxyDog on May 28, 2009, 09:30:48 AM
Great idea Matt.  ;)

The thread linked by Robert does have some good ideas, some of which have already been discussed and either are implemented or will be.  :)  Also, that thread does have the "tank of the month" idea in it (which is a great idea) and I hope to see it work.

Can we try to concentrate on the club itself, or meetings, etc and not so much on the website?  If you've never been to a meeting, and assuming you have the time, what would make you come to one and mingle with the other fish geeks?   8)[/b]
X2,

garnpet

These are some of the ideas that I hope to bring forward in the new season.

1.  Combined garage sale/membership drive in September.
2.  eMail notification of meetings and special events
3.  Changes to mini-auctions, perhaps less frequent, change of bidding strategy, special mini-auction themes
1 fish, 2 fish, <°{{{><  , <°{{{><  

Hookup

Given I was very vocal in past threads of this nature I wanted to comment here.  I was, and still am, focused on enriching the web-portion of the site.  Still willing to help and anxiously paying attention.

I joined OVAS just to support the efforts financially.  I'm not at club meetings, my schedule rarely allows me to be there.  I do not have any decent ideas for making the non-web-side of the club better... but I'll help where ever I can.

I like OVAS and the people, stories, some amazing great OT threads that make me laugh... hehe... Just saying, I'm still willing to help.

Tim

RoxyDog

The ideas in this thread and the past thread have been brought to the Exec meeting.  Some are in the works of being implemented, some are book marked for the new season, and some aren't feasible in the near future.  Are there more out there?  :)

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

Bob the Nano

Quote from: bitterman on May 28, 2009, 09:40:19 AM
Not sure if this is feasible but would be cool if we could have people virtually attend the meetings. Sorta like companies do web casts

-Web Video feed
-chat at the same time for feed back
-Not sure if we could setup a line people could call in for questions for speakers

*This due to cost my not be an option....
*Would allow people out of town or not within traveling distance to virtually attend meetings.
*Might broaden membership area
*Not sure how/if they could bid on auction items.

Bruce

maybe if a live feed isn't feasible how about recording the meetings and host them on the site like a video blog or upload it to youtube. we wouldn't be able to participate but at least we'd be able to see it!

Stussi613

I like Peter's idea of the email, and totally agree and sympathize with Roxy...I intended to come to all of the meetings since I have joined, but I count my time away from Ottawa more than in Ottawa these days.

I think that the people who see the true value in this will pay to become members, but for most it's just another place to ask questions and search/list items for sale.
I haz reef tanks.

Vincenzo.

widen our sponsors, for not only fish & equipment.
many of us go to canus plastic, maybe asking them to be a sponsor.
any others people can think of...

maybe open a video section with our book rentals. like video documentaries. ect..

maybe one day instead of having a speaker people can sign up for a 'show-&-tell' like a certain product they have, how it works, other products they have tried, but the one they have is better or worse. even if it's a rare species.. idk im going on a limb here

maybe plan a outing to gatineau park, or even (going on a limb again) the biodome, better yet, Anything locally

maybe a fundraiser of some sort, half the money for the club the other half charity
or half goes to a school(s) for plug and play goldfish aquarium(s)

i dont know of any of this makes sense or is a good idea.
-vince

washefuzzy

The OVAS Library does have several vidoes and dvds just check out under Articles, OVAS Library, on the left hand side of the page.

Joyce Landry
OVAS Librarian. 

QueensU

It would be cool if there was a spot for product review. Something like "The best product you're not using" where people say what product they attribute their tank's success to. Or, alternatively, a "shooting gallery" where products are reviewed. Perhaps adding a new topic each week. Ie. Best Protein Skimmer, Best Reef Supplements... something to that effect.

my $0.02! 

Cheers,

Dave and Diane

As we live outside Ottawa meetings are not really a possibility as I work the next day , get up early.

Yes a product review thread would be nice.

The ability to separate the classified section into
1. fish related hardware
2. live stock
    a. fresh water
    b. salt water
3. Non fish related items

Much like the ASW Site ( aquarium society of Winnipeg)

Its the winnipeg fish fourm.( Should of placed it in before)

Over all this site is good

RoxyDog

ASW doesn't have a forum...   ???  am I looking in the wrong place?

I'm thinking maybe the new thread ideas such a Tank of the Month, Hot Thread, Product Reviews etc. will work if someone other than the APW and Exec ran them.  An OVAS member could volunteer to take care of each thread, moderate it, find the ideas/topics/tanks and Robert wouldn't have to worry about more on his plate.  All he'd have to do is set up the forum, or point that member to where he'd like to see it set up and voila!

10gnano

i think that a thread for Newbies would be a great idea. like general sw rules. Ratio of live rock to gallons, lighting, all different things that newbies like me should know,

washefuzzy

Quote from: 10gnano on June 11, 2009, 03:09:59 PM
i think that a thread for Newbies would be a great idea. like general sw rules. Ratio of live rock to gallons, lighting, all different things that newbies like me should know,

That is a really good idea. I like!

Fishnut

Quote from: Vince. on June 10, 2009, 11:33:40 PM
widen our sponsors, for not only fish & equipment.
many of us go to canus plastic, maybe asking them to be a sponsor.
any others people can think of...

I know of a great sponsor...me :).  I've been offering to become a sponsor for the past 2 years.  Unfortunately I don't qualify as fish or fish supplies related.

This is a great idea not only to promote other types of businesses that people need but to get more revenue for OVAS, which in turn means Errol has more money to get us some FABULOUS speakers!!

Perhaps there should be some criteria to meet and standards that must be upheld...kindof like the Better Business Bureau...to control who is permitted and who isn't.  I would be happy to help with this.  Then again it would be a bit of a conflict of interests! :)

So...what are my chances this year new exec?!  :)

markw

So...what are my chances this year new exec?!  :)
[/quote]
Sounds like a viable alternative to the norm. As long as the sponsors are in some way ancillary to the club's activities or share a common interest, I see no reasons why they shouldn't be accepted. I think, as you've mentioned some sort of background check needs to be done in all cases to ensure we aren't in some way misleading our members. Overall, a great idea!
Thanks
Mark