Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Shared Frag rearing tank

Started by Tsukiyomi-sakura, July 14, 2009, 10:03:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tsukiyomi-sakura

Hey we all know the cost of setting a frag tank up, What if we set one up at someone's house and all chipped into the cost of lights and skimmers..all that nice stuff.

Then everyone would select desirable frags or small colony's to place into the tank to grow, then we frag it up and divide it between everyone who Contributed to the tank. and keep doing it, after having so much of one frag we can sell the others.

Might be a nice way for reefers to swap corals and Minimize impact on the sea reef.

Plus we would be able to grow out any kind Of frag we wanted.  8)

Suggestions? anyone Interested?

Vincenzo.

sounds hard and some confusing. But i have some random equipt.. Its the splitting everything factor that bothers me.

jon1985

It would probably be easier for one person to setup a frag tank and 'rent' out space in it to other reefers.  Rent could be frags, supplies, cash......  Problem is always going to be you need someone you can trust not to steal frags but also to maintain proper water quality. 
Great idea but lots of logistical issues.

Funkmotor

Back in Sydney the reef club had a frag tank.  It was 'hosted' at the house of a member.  Gear and livestock came from donations or was purchased by the club.

People got points for putting things in, and lost points for taking things out.  Members, by default, got a few free points to start.

The host of the tank would take care of whatever fragging was required.

Supplies for the tank - salt, frag plugs, whatever, were supplied by the club.  I never saw any mention of electricity, though.  Perhaps that was just donated by the host.

By doing it this way, the club owned the tank.  And, from what I understood, every couple years someone else would get it.

Vincenzo.

the less people the better. Less confusion. sakura let me know what you have to start this. I have a decent size tank and stand.

bitterman

Calfo mentioned when he was here and did his talk the electricity cost of something like this outway the gains and that it is not profitable. That is why he uses green houses for all his coral growing operations.

Bruce

Hookup

Quote from: bitterman on July 16, 2009, 02:06:56 PM
Calfo mentioned when he was here and did his talk the electricity cost of something like this outway the gains and that it is not profitable. That is why he uses green houses for all his coral growing operations.

Bruce

I've heard that many times Bruce, which is unfortunate...  growing frags into colonies is not profitable because of the cost of hydro.  The cost of salt and other additives is enough to be a pain... Not that I want to make money, but it's sad when it's simply cheaper to take from the oceans rather than grow our own... sad really.

If I were setting up a "for profit" grow system I'd look into (and use) the natural-lighting systems that basically use a series of mirrors to direct light down a tube and onto your tank... Ottawa get's a significant amount of sun annually, so having this style of setup would dramatically reduce the costs of grow-out...

Still, you've got to sink $$ into the initial setup,  plus sqr footage, plus heat/hydro/water... you'll have a hard time breaking even at $10/1" frag... 

However, back on topic, i think the idea is generally a good one but the risks are high...  If I pull a bone-head and kill a coral, it's one thing... if I have a coral in someone elses system and they pull a bonehead... well lets say that could lead to some sticky situations...

Assuming the equipment and space was all figured out, how do you handle losses?  what if someone is not doing a good job a husbandry?   

Vincenzo.

sniggir

I think that this is a great Idea, and think that it is something that as a club would be very interesting to do, as a non-profit idea. could also use it as a way of teaching  ppl proper ways of fragging and use it as a more eco freindly way of doing things, as we can only continue to rape the oceans for the benifit of our hobby so long

;D I would be interested in helpin out for sure with this plan if it starts to move

cheers Pat
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!