Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Improving circulation while diffusing CO2

Started by blizzack1, August 11, 2009, 03:04:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blizzack1

Is there anything out there that I can hookup my CO2 output to that will help diffuse the bubbles and also improve circulation? 

My tank could use a bit more circulation, and it would be nice to tie the CO2 directly into it. I could plum the CO2 output into my filter, but that wouldn't help with my circulation...

thanks guys.

JB

charlie

Quote from: blizzack1 on August 11, 2009, 03:04:51 PM
Is there anything out there that I can hookup my CO2 output to that will help diffuse the bubbles and also improve circulation? 

My tank could use a bit more circulation, and it would be nice to tie the CO2 directly into it. I could plum the CO2 output into my filter, but that wouldn't help with my circulation...

thanks guys.

JB
How are you diffusing it now?

blizzack1

Quote from: charlie on August 11, 2009, 04:39:02 PM
How are you diffusing it now?

Its a plastic eheim diffuser, but it isn't called a diffuser.. Dan recommended it on here.. I'll see if I can dig it up. 

charlie

Ok , i think i know which one  ( eheim air diffuser), i think it supposedly works by diffusing the co2 into micro bubbles that is then circulated in the tank to dissolve , along with lodging itself on plant leaves for direct absorption.
Is it possible to get it under a power head which will then suck it up ( the co2 bubbles) , the prop of the PH will further chop up the bubbles & catapult it out into the water column, thereby achieving both added circulation & diffusing the co2.
Might also be possible to use a gravel vac tube or juice/pop bottle attached to the intake of the power head to further enhance the uptake of the co2 bubbles from the eheim air diffuserthrough the power head.
This has been done by several aquarist.

blizzack1

Quote from: charlie on August 12, 2009, 03:01:39 PM
Ok , i think i know which one  ( eheim air diffuser), i think it supposedly works by diffusing the co2 into micro bubbles that is then circulated in the tank to dissolve , along with lodging itself on plant leaves for direct absorption.
Is it possible to get it under a power head which will then suck it up ( the co2 bubbles) , the prop of the PH will further chop up the bubbles & catapult it out into the water column, thereby achieving both added circulation & diffusing the co2.
Might also be possible to use a gravel vac tube or juice/pop bottle attached to the intake of the power head to further enhance the uptake of the co2 bubbles from the eheim air diffuserthrough the power head.
This has been done by several aquarist.

Yeah, that is more or less what I'm after, but thought maybe there was something that I could plug the CO2 output tube directly into.  I guess I'm out of luck?

fischkopp

I use a power head to above passive CO2 diffusers for better circulation and efficiency. Works quite well if you don't mind seeing CO2 bubbles all the time. For better circulation you will have to add an power head, in some cases you can be successful with optimizing the filter output for example by using a spraybar.

A plug-and-play solution for internal use would be the aqua-medic 500, it comes with and without PH. It works quite well to diffuse the CO2, but I find that it doesn't help much to increase the flow as most of the PH output is directed into the diffuser.
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

charlie

Quote from: blizzack1 on August 12, 2009, 05:17:20 PM
Yeah, that is more or less what I'm after, but thought maybe there was something that I could plug the CO2 output tube directly into.  I guess I'm out of luck?
Here is one that meets your wants  ;)

http://www.taiwantrade.com.tw/EP/Products.do?Method=showProductDetail&catalogId=66824&epDomainName=capson

exv152

Here's what I did and it works great.  I used a powerhead I bought for about $15, removed the airline tube, and put in the blue line which comes from my CO2 bottles. 

Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Soeman

I've often seen a design that would meet your needs while browsing DIY forums, but can't seem to find a link atm :s

The basic idea is to take a powerhead with the output pointing downwards into a tube (often recommended is a siphon tube - it already has a hose connector on the end). Feed your CO2 into the bottom of the tube, and block the end with filter floss.

The bubbles will try floating to the top of the tube, but with the downward current they'll be pushed back down, but wont be able to pass the floss. You'll get 100% of your CO2 dissolved, and the extra powerhead in the system increases water flow.

I've also seen similar designs using a variety of materials (most commonly PVC piping) setup for external use.

twisty

I would think that this setup might pull or pump the liquid out of the bottles.
is this happening?

Quote from: exv152 on August 15, 2009, 01:37:17 PM
Here's what I did and it works great.  I used a powerhead I bought for about $15, removed the airline tube, and put in the blue line which comes from my CO2 bottles. 

magnosis

I built and use this diffuser:  http://ovas.ca/index.php?topic=22268.0

(I think this is what Soeman refers to)

I used black foam so it blends very nicely with my black background  8)

I placed it right under my filter output.  It works like a charm, and costs almost nothing.  Boosted my CO2 from 5 to 20-22ppm within 24h.

asmackay

This is my DIY idea based on a reactor design with PVC but using whole home water filter and only needed threaded pvc to assemble and no tools required.

It's not the cheapest solution but I wanted something external and not using output from filter (which reduces flow) and that added more current to the tank and had a dedicated pump to power it.

I was testing it on the tank below in the picture but will behind the background on another tank.  

220G African planted
75G High Tech planted inprogress
550G Pond with Waterfall
3000G Pond in progress
Hobbies, video's http://www.youtube.com/user/newday3000

Bees

Since everyone else is posting their designs, here is one I built for $15 using a design I found on another forum.   http://aquagarden.ca/diy-co2-diffuser-2/

It is not as complete a solution as some of the others but the price is right and it does a good job.