Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

aptasia and sun as lighting

Started by C-Dog, August 14, 2009, 05:41:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C-Dog

hey, so i have some aptasia and i tried boiling water and lemon juice.... the boiling water didn't work and the lemon juice only worked on one of them..... what should i do plus i cant seem to keep shrimp due to two pesty fish

Second question is has anyone ever had a tank and used only the sun to light it?
like set it up in front of a huge window that the sun shines through all day?

Vincenzo.

direct sunlight = immense algae problems.

beertech

And really bad color. You'll end up supplementing with actinics, defeating the purpose of using the sun only.
As for the Aptasia, some of our sponsors sell a specific type of Nudibranch that feeds exclusivly on Aptasia. They are very cool looking too. Try calling around to see who has them in stock.

C-Dog

yea thought sooo

so after waiting to see my results on using lemon juice for aptasia... they seem to have grown bigger and stronger....

littlelil

White Vinegar in the syringe with pointy needle. My technique is to actually bring the needle close to it's mouth. They actually reach it's tenticles out to grab it and pull it in thinking it's food! Then just place the needle into its mouth and ka-BOOM-- vinegar explosion.

My biggest problem was that i would often have my thumb ready on the syringe and accidentally expel vinegar on it before i actually get a chance to trick it.... thus letting them know that something bad is on its way and they shrivel up and disappear... other than the vinegar which you already mentioned, the peppermints do quite a good job on the littler ones :)

good luck!

Hookup

Quote from: Vince. on August 14, 2009, 11:22:32 PM
direct sunlight = immense algae problems.

Only if you've got your system running nutrient rich... which you should not.. (RO/DI, phosban remover etc... )

Anthony Calfo has a greenhouse that he uses for all of his coral grow-out tanks... lighting costs $0!!!  No algae.

There are also several people on RC who have replaced their lighting with daylight tubes... kind of like an 18" circular hole in your roof that gathers light through a dome of glass/plastic, then uses higly reflective metal tubing to bounce/send the light down to where you want it...   Works well, but you're now on gods' timmer for viewing... ;)

pinoy

why dont you try using joes juice? It worked on mine perfectly

jimskoi

Aiptasia X

Guaranteed

Here is a pic of what a solar tube looks like.

C-Dog

i think i'm gonna try peppermint shrimps again and introduce them into the tank at night. i also just added some more LR so maybe now they have more places to hide

jimskoi

Make sure they are the Florida peppermints.

hermitcrab

Anyone that has tried Joe's juice will confirm it kills them almost instantly, they eat it and start to disintegrate before your eyes.  It's the easyest way to get rid of them.

Quote from: pinoy on August 19, 2009, 04:14:47 PM
why don't you try using Joe's juice? It worked on mine perfectly

White Lightning

I use aptasia X and have found it to rid my tank of the little buggers!