New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

My 180g, 4 sided viewable project thread

Started by Hookup, August 28, 2009, 10:32:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hookup

I think drains only work one of two ways.

1) overflowing into a "drain"... water in the tank gets to a level where it over-flows and falls out of the tank...
2) siphon...

Both are 100% gravity based... If not, show me one of those two working in zero-gravity environment...

Contains Moose

Are you saying they drain at the same speed?

Canoe

No he's not saying they drain at the same speed.
You're introducing something new (drain speed) to your argument after he's more explicitly pointed out what I was politely trying to do, that all drains work by gravity. "Gravity Drain" is a redundant term with a redundant "gravity" providing no meaning. Siphon drain, or more commonly just plain Siphon, means something. Open Drain means something. They both work by gravity. As do all drains, as pointed out by Hookup. 

We know where the noise comes from, the reference I'm making is how Bean-Animal has incorporated the resulting properties of various drain types into a functional and highly reliable drain strategy. The three channel tube-in-shell-in-shell diagram is interesting as it allows implementing Bean-Animal's design/strategy through a single bulkhead - great for retro-fit and potentially lower cost for new. Size vs. flow-rate vs. susceptibility to blockages will have to be determined. Reliability of such an implementation will be determined over time. Its fairly easy to implement a tube-in-shell-in-shell, but with careful engineering of custom end piece fittings, a very high flow rate should be possible, that also avoids excessive flow noise.

For Hookup, a tube-in-shell gives him two channels through a single bulkhead, thereby replacing the functionally of the missing hole, at very low cost and with care in fitting choice, surprisingly low drag.

If you'd bothered to go read the link provided you wouldn't be floundering around on tangents explaining how "noise" is made, etc., you'd understand the terminology and that the referred engineering even uses the open-drain in both a silent and noisy mode, transitioning from one to the other if the siphon (the primary drain) gets blocked.

As Bean-Animal's explanation says it all, and very well, and there's a very large thread on Reef Central covering various implementations, I'm not going to try to explain it all here. Read the link.

Contains Moose

So as to be clear, you are suggesting that Tims response was replying to my terminology tongue in cheek and not makeing a comment ?

I will try to use the term open channel and siphon and safety  from now on.

As to the comment "read the thread on RC" I am well aware of the thread, more  aware than you could ever imagine.

Hookup

anyhow.... ;)

The two-in-one idea is cool and I'd love to see it in action. 

salvini55

the drains are connected to the bulkhead, the bulkheads connected to the fish tank, the fish tanks connected to my wallet and thats why im broke.

audioslave_36

Quote from: salvini55 on December 19, 2009, 12:22:27 PM
the drains are connected to the bulkhead, the bulkheads connected to the fish tank, the fish tanks connected to my wallet and thats why im broke.

LOL   Amen.

Contains Moose

If you decide to build one use SDR 26 pipe for best results, let me know if you need help locating it.

salvini55

Ok ive been very nice regarding the lack of pics and the "whats up with the tank" factor, I think its time for a little motivation a-la Barry White...

a one, a two, a one, two, three, four

Oh Tim I, can't get enough of your thread babe
Tim, I don't know, I don't know why
Can't get enough of your thread babe
Oh, some things i can't get used to
No matter how I try
Just like the more you give, the more I want
And Tim, that's no lie
Oh no, Tim
Tell me, what can I say?
What am I gonna do?
How should I feel when everything is you?
What kind of picless thread is this that you're givin' me?
is it in your kiss or just because your sweet?

PS - Since everything has to be sexy for Tim I highly suggest going to youtube and putting the track on while you read Tims thread. Its a Blast

[attachment deleted by admin]

Hookup

I have an 8foot by 5 foot hole in the wall.  I have photos on the camera I have to get onto the puter and uploaded.  I'll be working on the stand as well.  By the end of the month, or first day or two into Jan, I will be done the wood-building parts and installing the tank.

Photos incomming today.

Vincenzo.

oh good ol kevin, please never Right, unless u must, ..
ill go south-paw w/ a Left, now taste the dust!

But seriously...
Vin' Give u a face lift, cuz ur a disgrace kid, think ur 'Glad?' ur garbage, just wasted, U may SMELL defeat, but i can TASTE IT!

Boombap

salvini55

I bet defeat tastes like Seabellys, bitter...

Hookup

TIME FOR SOME UPDATES!

A HOLE WAS BORN!

FIRST JOB, MOVE THOSE SWITCHES

FOR REFERENCE on RE-WIRING

SWITCHES ALL MOVED, EVERYTHING WORKS

NOW OPEN THAT HOLE UP!

AND CLEAN UP THE MESS! (LOL)

BUILD OUT THAT STAND (FRAME)

Hookup

Tomorrows project will be to work on skinn'ing the tank-stand.  I believe I have the parts I need but home Depot is open so I should be good either way. 

The tank should be moved onto the stand next week/weekend and I will start the plumbing "trees" that will get covered in DIY cement right after.

Thanks for reading!

salvini55

I love when ppl kick down walls for fish! There is no turning back now man! A little bit of pee hit my pants when Id seen that you updated.

Vincenzo.

^^lmfao at pee hit my leg.

though..
that bottom cut looks crookeder than a hind leg of a dog.
u must have a french measuring tape :D

Snider82

YEY pics!!   yes Vince,  thats the first thing i noticed too lol. also the switches look off too ;)   this is going to look AW SOME!!!!!!   I'm so envious.   cant wait to see more progress here.  Thanks for the updates!   

Hookup

Yes the DRYWALL cuts are off... [...] ... That part will be sexyfied later on... much later on cause the current system is in the way.

The switches are NOT off..  (Ok they are.. i need a new 3rd box cause the one that I had was bust-a-ma-fied by the builders and jammered-squished into the wall)

I believe that it is against code to have the low-voltage switch for the fire-place in the same box as the light-switches... can anyone confirm?

edit: removed abusive language

Contains Moose

Quote from: Hookup on January 02, 2010, 09:23:19 PM

I believe that it is against code to have the low-voltage switch for the fire-place in the same box as the light-switches... can anyone confirm?

I wouldn't worry about it, maximum fine is $25 and 2 weeks of community service.

Tyler.L

I'm telling then!

tim dont listen to those damn fools...i doubt vince could even cut a straight peice of wood lol. It looks good but poor sandy having to slave clean up your damn mess....good times though lol.

gonna be so dope when its done