Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Executive "stuff" - OVASers how much do you want to know?

Started by RoxyDog, September 04, 2009, 10:35:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoxyDog

I want to know how OVAS members feel about knowing what's going on with the club.  This is not related to the running of the forum, but to the club itself.  Please only respond if you are a card carrying member of OVAS.  Thanks!  :)

This year I will be doing my part on the Executive as Treasurer.  I will be submitting a report each month at the Exec meeting with a breakdown of OVAS' finances, where the money went, how much came in etc.  I hope to keep this printed out (or electronically) with the meeting minutes, and it will be available to any OVAS member to read.  I tend to be a bit paranoid about posting information online, but does anyone think that this should be posted on the forum somewhere?  I'm guessing most of you don't know what goes on at Exec meetings, or about how much money your club has - BUT does anyone care?   :D  Should it stay the way it is, or do you want to know?
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

Hookup

I like the idea.  In fact, I think posting the financials of the organization is a good thing... technically it is "member money which we entrust to the executive to manage" so sharing that info is a really good thing.

I love the idea of posting a summary of the minutes discussed at the executive meetings, and at the club meetings.  This could get some people off of the bench and more involved in the club, leading to new executive members (a problem we had last election if I remember correctly).

As for posting this stuff on-line... I do not see any risk... sure, someone will complain if we have x dollars we should be doing xyz with it... and that's great input... and if that person is so empassioned with their plan, then they are always welcome to run for an executive position to help drive their ideas forward...  There is a difference between "OVAS Executive and OVAS Member", anyone not remembering that should be told. 

Great plans!

Brine

I really like the idea of more transparency in this, or any, organization. It can be a double edged sword though. The more people involved in the process the harder it can be to make changes. On the other hand with more people involved there is less chance of one or two "personalities or egos" getting overzealous.

Hookup

Quote from: Brine on September 04, 2009, 02:20:45 PM
The more people involved in the process the harder it can be to make changes. On the other hand with more people involved there is less chance of one or two "personalities or egos" getting overzealous.

Completely agree... the recommendation I would make to the executive is to remember that the info posted is for READ ONLY... as in, anyone (members) is welcome to read, but ideas and comments are not necessary... :)  Not saying they are not welcome, but there's a big difference between assuming that you have to do something and just listening to the commentary.  If people want change, or to see their ideas thru, join the executive, become a volunteer, etc...