Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

I have officially found the best saltwater tool on earth

Started by Tyler.L, September 17, 2009, 08:46:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyler.L

well everyone i think i have found the best tool on the planet.....
maybe some of you have it already...

was at zellers and they had a nail brush and its tiny...1" long by 1/4" wide if that...and if anyone has the problem with the green algae coraline type stuff that sticks to your glass yeah you can use a razor but if you have an aquapod, cardiff, biocube, any of those tanks with a curved pane this tool works wonders...

i just went to town on my green b.s algae and it is all gone...well as much as i did...

so that is all i thought i would tell everyone...
IT WAS ONLY 1.99!!!!

so yeah thanks for reading my non important post yet..

Malyon18

I will for sure have to look into it, I just got a 47 bowfront and was a little confused on how I would clean the bowed front, thanks for your post lol
"Friends Don't Let Friends Go Plastic Reef"

QueensU

Thanks, I will def look into that, I have a bowfront too. I try to keep the curved pane really clean so that no coralline algae builds up on it, but there are a few little spots of green that won't come off with a mag float.

Vincenzo.

both my tanks are curved cubes..... pain .

ray

I use the magfloat w/ the blade attachment on my corner bow w/ no problems at all.Peels coraline etc very quickly and you don't have to put your hand in the tank.IMO it is one of the best gadgets.

Ray

JD

Hey Tyler, any chance you could post a pic or your new found algae bustin' brush?

Tyler.L

Yes but ray in the aquapod no blade fits the curved pane. I used a razor blade once and scratched the glass . Mag float does work well but for the green stuff that sticks to the glass that mag float can't pull off this nail brush pulls it off instantly ill take a pic of it when I'm back in town

gerryo

What kind of GLASS gets scratched by a razor blade????  Sounds like plastic to me.

JD

All kinds of glass get scratched by razor blades.
You would be surprised how easily a razor blade can scratch glass.
I've done it, I've seen it done and someone once did it to me.

Tyler.L

anyways....you find me a plastic aquapod and i will give you my tank and everything with it...

the way the GLASS is curved makes it impossible for a razor blade to get at everything as just the end points touch while the middle is left not touching anything and this is where it scratched it

here are the photos
One of it by itself

another with 9v battery for size comparison

JD

Ohhhh, girly nail brush....should've figured micro

I suppose your fingers fit just right too!

Tyler.L

lol no i can only get 2 in there its hard i just hold it and scrub but it works well and stuff giving me a hard time jeff im gonna report you lol

but thanks for coming to my rescue jeffie boy

Vincenzo.

i saw this miracle scraper today. with some elbow grease i see it working very well.

redsanurse

I like using a spackler to clean the walls of my tank whenever I "forget" for a few days. You know the putty knives you would use for fixing holes in your walls? I have a thin metal one that needs next to no elbow grease and takes off the algae quickly. I can clean my 75g tank in just under 5 minutes this way. I just make sure that I really dry off the spackler after as I don't want it to rust.

Also Whomever said that razor blades can't scratch glass was right. I think it is only diamonds that can do that....

Tyler.L

lol have you ever see an aquapod you will scratch it with no matter what you use....the pane is curved in a way that you really cant scratch it you wanna come over and i will show you the scratches i did with a razor blade...so glass is this miracle stuff that cant be scratched by rocks, or gravel...definatly not razor blades...just diamonds you're right

mikerobart

Steel is pretty much same range on Moh's hardness scale as glass, can definitely scratch in the right situation.

Zoe

Glass is at about 5.5 on the mohs hardness scale, so not hard at all. Anything above that can scratch glass and hardened steel is between 7 and 8. Diamond is a 10 :P. Take a razor blade to your window the wrong way and you'll see how easily glass can be scratched.

Saltcreep

Quote from: JD on September 19, 2009, 08:30:01 PM
All kinds of glass get scratched by razor blades.
You would be surprised how easily a razor blade can scratch glass.
I've done it, I've seen it done and someone once did it to me.

I would agree that razor blades can definitely scratch glass. However, I expect it's more user error than hardware failure. I use one of those dirt-cheap scrapers with the long handle; the kind that you can mount a double-edge, old-style razor blade in and some even come with a blade installed. They cost about $6. Once you find the correct attack angle, it's a piece of cake.

Snider82

I used a toothbrush to clean my skimmer out... i set it down beside the toothbrushes, grabbed it to continue cleaning... OOPS!!  wrong toothbrush...  i used the wife's...  Sorry Hun!

could be worse.... i could have kept quiet about it.  lol