Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

What are those little hairs(?)

Started by beads, September 25, 2009, 05:14:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beads

Guys,

My set up is new and  I've noticed that my live rock seems to be growing hairy? What is this, is sticking to my glass. Is this normal?

Vincenzo.

Hookup

likely the hair you are refering to is brownish red, and is a form of cyano.  New tanks get this and it passes within the first 6months.

Cyano is a bacteria.

Of course, if it's green, then as Vince says, it's likely green hair algae.

There is another option, but let's not worry about that... it's not good, and highly unlikely that you have them so no need to worry for nothing.

I'd put $20 on cyano if it's brown/red color...

Vincenzo.

^deff your right, i did not take in consideration it was a new tank. Cyano for sure

beads

Thanks,

it seems to be winning the tank battle. What do i do to control it? I have some snails/crabs and one cleaner shrimp in there right now with 40lbs of live rock.

Thoughts?

Hookup

Well, what is it?  We are guessing one of two things. 

If it's green hairs - Algae - nutrient problems
If it's brown/red hairs - Cyano - increased flow, increased skimming, time.

Maxthecat

to keep it under control is pretty much, taking some out if its too big and rely on crabs and snails, i have 2 african turbo snails and about 20+ crabs, and couple of random snails in my 30g

beads

I don't have a skimmer going yet. Didn't think I had enough waste to warrent it yet

groupie02

Green hair algae is a name used for pretty much anything that looks like that. Not all GHA have the same cause and the same solution/predators.

As for cyano, it can take many form as well. It is known as blue-green algae, red slime and many other names. In the end, it's still a bacteria that can take over your tank and smother your corals.

If the problem is small enough, be it GHA or cyano, you want to attempt to control it now.  Increasing flow will usually solve the cyano issue. There are critters that will eat it, just like there are some fish that will the job. Since you have a 30g, I don't think that getting a tang is an option :-)

While at MACNA, I had a chance to speak with Julian Sprung, author of Algae: A Problem Solver Guide. This nifty little book contains a lot of very good information regarding the problems that we all encounter with algae.  I totally recommend that you get a copy. 

Vincenzo.

^ya it is a good book. i have another on sand beds, and it's very interesting.