Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

What I need to dose with?

Started by LEROY, September 27, 2009, 07:46:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LEROY

Hey I was wondering what I would need to dose my tank with if I wanted to keep a few Zoa's, a Ric and maybe a Frogspawn. I have a 10 gallon FOLWR right now but corals are tempting me every trip I take to the fish store. If anyone could tell me what I need in regards to additives it would be appreciated.
-Thanks, Steve.

JD

Probably the easiest thing to dose with would be Fauna Marins Bio Calcium. It has pretty much everything you need.
Naturally you will need to test your water accordingly.

LEROY

Thank you, yeah tests will be purchased at the same time. Would you know where I could pick up some of the Fauna Marins Bio Calcium? It would be nice to have only one thing to dose with.
-Thanks, Steve.

RossW

I am not familair with Fauna Marin BioCalcium, possibly you mean Tropic Marin BioCalcium.  If you decided to go the Tropic Marin BioCalcium route be sure to what your alkalinity.  I used to use it in the past and found it raised my alk higher than I was comfortable with.

RoxyDog

Quote from: LEROY on September 27, 2009, 07:46:38 PM
Hey I was wondering what I would need to dose my tank with if I wanted to keep a few Zoa's, a Ric and maybe a Frogspawn.

Nothing, you don't need to dose your tank.  Your salt mix should provide everything you need for those corals.  If you get heavy into LPS or SPS, then look at dosing. 
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

mikerobart

Frequent enough water changes MIGHT keep your parameters in check depending on demand. I have heard good things about the tropic marin bio calcium... bit pricey for me but good product I think.

I'm using ca/alk/mag from bulk reef supply. They claim pharmaceutical grade chemicals and prices are pretty cheap.

mikerobart

Just noticed it's a 10g.... if your very careful frequent 10-25 changes should keep you in check. This article will give you an idea of how water changes impact levels.... it's really just a bunch of simple mass balances so pretty easy to value and the calculations are not really integral to the understanding but worth a read imo:

http://www.reefs.org/library/article/t_brightbill_wc.html

Oh, and despite what this guy says, I still think water changes are a good safety check... I have been lazy in the past with them and still have had success but still is reccomended.

LEROY

Awesome, thanks for the replies everyone. Now, this tank is a FOWLR stocked with 2 false percs right now and I was wondering when I put the corals in, what is the best way to switch over to ro/di? I am currently just using RO and was wondering if I should do like a 50% water change and then do another 50% later on both times adding RO/DI? Also does anyone know if the "Labrador" distilled water would be safe to use? Expensive, but until I get an ro/di it will have to do I guess. Any suggestions again would be appreciated.
Thanks, Steve.

Vincenzo.

just do simple 10-20% water changes. And from what i understand labrador is ok to use. Correct me if im wrong. Because thats what im using.

PMurphy

From my understanding Labrador does not have quite as good a reputation as Culligan. It makes it harder to find water as Labrador is more prevalent, but I was told it is better water.

As far as dosing, your calc, mag, levels etc should be maintained by water changes on a tank of your size. You might consider dosing organics though, to increase the colour and growth of your corals. Fauna Marin has a great line of amino acids and organic trace elements that I dose with. After about a month the difference to your corals is astounding.
55g Mbuna Tank 11 Saulosi, 4 Albino Socolofi
29g Biocube Reef

LEROY

Thanks for all of the replies everyone. I am already getting anxious about getting those corals. I know that there is a place on Richmond road that sells distilled by the gallon so I might check that out as well. Well I'll be getting everything together in the next few weeks and I will post pics as soon as I get the first one in there.
-Steve.

mikerobart

LEROY what kind of lighting are you running... zoo's and lps don't need the kind of light sps or clams do but you do still need to consider adequate lighting.

LEROY

I was thinking of running one of these (6500k) http://www.fishtail.ca/product.php?id=LI084 and maybe a 50/50 daylight actinic or just actinic. Do you think that would be enough light?
-Steve

LEROY

Tyler.L

are they pc bulbs or what

i hate 6500 im not gonna lie looks brutal....go, 50/50, and a 420 or 460 if you can if you want the blue coloration and a nice coral coloration

LEROY

Thanks I found what you are talking about and I'll give those a shot. Yeah they are pc, right now about all I can afford lol. Ghetto reefer.

Tyler.L

get a 70w halide on that will be so much better theres some for sale in the classifieds...i would get one of those on a 10g over pcs...just my imo and get the esv b-ionic calcium and alk and then get the mag also i havent tried the mag but im going to get it cause the cal and alk is awsome and the mag should be as equally awsome

Vincenzo.

ya next thing i Buy will be ESV B-Ionic 2 part :D to go with my Sugar Dosing.