Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

This is why we quarantine...

Started by FocusFin, September 29, 2009, 09:17:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FocusFin

I bought a Yellow Tang two weeks ago and broke my usual rule about buying a fish from a new shipment but these Tangs were large and thick. Normally, I buy the fish that have been around awhile so that I've already got a head start of a few weeks. To date I've not lost a marine fish to disease - knocks on wood.

I quarantined him from the outset and he seemed to be doing fine until Sunday morning when he stayed in the cave I had made for him. He would still come out to eat but was hiding most of the time and that's not a good sign. I could see no visible indication of a problem but within 24 hours he was dead.

The moral of my story is that although I'm not happy about losing him, I'm also not sweating bullets wondering if my other fish are going to start dropping like flies. Quarantining is a PITA but the alternative is so much worse.
110g saltwater/reef

I was walking down the street and a man was hammering on a roof top and he called me a Paranoid Little Weirdo. . . in morse code.

Hookup

hat's off... well done... not many people do QT and it sure paid off for you... 8)

Hookup

Oh yeah, and sorry that your fish died... but seriously, awesome to hear of the QT thing working for someone first hand like that.

sdivell

yup, good save.  I'll be setting up a QT myself after I get my tank initially stocked. 

Sorry about the Tang though.  I'm actually thinking of purchasing a young yellow tang myself.  Do you mind if I ask where you got it?

FocusFin

Quote from: sdivell on September 29, 2009, 09:47:16 PM
I'm actually thinking of purchasing a young yellow tang myself.  Do you mind if I ask where you got it?

Yep, pm on it's way.
110g saltwater/reef

I was walking down the street and a man was hammering on a roof top and he called me a Paranoid Little Weirdo. . . in morse code.

Vincenzo.

iv'e only ever added gobies, iv'e never used a qt. but im not into fish that much. if i had a larger tank, a qt would be a must.

FocusFin

Quote from: Hookup on September 29, 2009, 09:41:11 PM
hat's off... well done... not many people do QT and it sure paid off for you... 8)

I'm still surprised at the number of people that don't QT. I understand why they don't (I'm tempted sometimes) and I know it sucks to wait but I guess I feel a certain obligation to the fish that I've had for a couple of years. I'd never forgive myself if I wiped out my tank by bringing in a sick fish.
110g saltwater/reef

FocusFin

Quote from: Vince. on September 29, 2009, 09:59:51 PM
iv'e only ever added gobies, iv'e never used a qt. but im not into fish that much. if i had a larger tank, a qt would be a must.

Yeah, I didn't quarantine my Mandarin Goby but then that's pretty difficult to do, you have to get them eating right away, fortunately they're less prone (not the gills mind you) to ich because of their slime coat.
110g saltwater/reef