Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Second dead Tang!

Started by FocusFin, September 30, 2009, 10:25:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FocusFin

I wrote about my Yellow Tang dying last night http://ovas.ca/index.php?topic=39565.0

Now a second Tang (Regal) has died as well. I noticed a white film early this morning, tried copper, but again within 24 hours, dead.

They were in separate Qts (two weeks), no cross contamination yet both die within a day of each other.

Both fish were bought on the same day at the same store. Again, I'm lucky I quarantined.

Picture is not the greatest but it improves if you expand it.

[attachment deleted by admin]
110g saltwater/reef

I was walking down the street and a man was hammering on a roof top and he called me a Paranoid Little Weirdo. . . in morse code.

Vincenzo.

that's crappy man. might be water shock?

FocusFin

Quote from: Vince. on September 30, 2009, 10:33:17 PM
that's crappy man. might be water shock?

They've both been in QT for the past two weeks and I'm only using Culligan RO for top up so I don't think it's the water, unless you're referring to something else.

110g saltwater/reef

I was walking down the street and a man was hammering on a roof top and he called me a Paranoid Little Weirdo. . . in morse code.

salvini55

i bet the tang police came in the middle of the night to end there missery of being in a 25 gallon tank.... j/k... just trying to lighten the mood, sorry about the loss buddy

Vincenzo.

Quote from: FocusFin on September 30, 2009, 10:38:07 PM
They've both been in QT for the past two weeks and I'm only using Culligan RO for top up so I don't think it's the water, unless your referring to something else.

okay, i did not know they where in that long, i miss read. i thought maybe a day or two.
man, idk... check parameters?

what about the tank you are using? was it washed out with anything? was is from another owner? did it leech?

FocusFin

Quote from: Vince. on September 30, 2009, 10:43:11 PM
okay, i did not know they where in that long, i miss read. i thought maybe a day or two.
man, idk... check parameters?

what about the tank you are using? was it washed out with anything? was is from another owner? did it leech?

They were in separate QTs, one has been used for other fish with no problem and the second tank was bought brand new at Pet Smart two weeks ago.
110g saltwater/reef

groupie02

sorry about your loss... believe me, I know how you feel

FocusFin

Quote from: groupie02 on September 30, 2009, 10:46:32 PM
sorry about your loss... believe me, I know how you feel

We better start a support group ;D
110g saltwater/reef

mikerobart

Pretty sad and similiar to my story... lost my yellow and regal within a few days... about a month ago.

beertech

How often are you testing for Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates etc..? It's important to use an established, seeded filter media in a quarantine tank to avoid any spikes. How about aeration, flow, Ph, salinity? If there was a huge difference between the Lfs water and yours it could still be shock even after 2 weeks. Were the fish eating every day? If all these factors check out, it could just be that the fish came from a supplier that uses Cyanide.   

FocusFin

Quote from: beertech on October 01, 2009, 07:59:20 AM
How often are you testing for Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates etc..? It's important to use an established, seeded filter media in a quarantine tank to avoid any spikes. How about aeration, flow, Ph, salinity? If there was a huge difference between the Lfs water and yours it could still be shock even after 2 weeks. Were the fish eating every day? If all these factors check out, it could just be that the fish came from a supplier that uses Cyanide.   

Thanks everyone for the input.

Just to be clear, these fish were in separate tanks with no cross contamination. I use a powerhead, hob filter with foam that I rinsed every two days, 5-10 lbs of live rock from my display tank, ph, salinity, ammonia etc.. all fine. I used a drip acclimation over two hours and both fish had been eating and active for two weeks with no outward signs of a problem. I've quarantined all my fish in the exact same way each time and have never lost a fish to disease or during the quarantine process. In the case of the Regal Tang, it developed a white dust covering it's body almost overnight and was dead a few hours later.

110g saltwater/reef

groupie02

maybe cleaner shrimp should have been included in the tang tanks.

JD

There are more than a few of us whom have lost fish in the same manner. I too lost a pair to the same suspicious circumstances.

Tyler.L

could have been collected with cyanide ye never know...

bongo

white dust probably = marine ich

did you notice any quick breathing before they died?

if so the ich attacked their gills and it was only a matter of time before they died

it's hard to tell if ich as attacked the gills... before it's too late

sorry about the loss

I would recommend sanitizing all your equipment

Hookup

Quote from: Tyler.L on October 01, 2009, 09:30:11 PM
could have been collected with cyanide ye never know...
I've heard that a good sign of cyanide poisioning is to open up the fish and check it's "guts"... black is a strong indicator of cyanide collection,which, unfortunately happens quite a bit in some of the less regulated areas.

pinoy

Sorry about your loss.

I am by no means a professional reef keeper but here are some of my thoughts:

1. Regal tangs are harder to keep than most people think.

2. ive had more success in keeping Tangs when they are already 3-4 inchess big

3. Buy fishes from independent saltwater hobbyist than from stores.

FocusFin

Quote from: pinoy on October 02, 2009, 10:57:00 AM
Sorry about your loss.

I am by no means a professional reef keeper but here are some of my thoughts:

1. Regal tangs are harder to keep than most people think.

2. ive had more success in keeping Tangs when they are already 3-4 inchess big

3. Buy fishes from independent saltwater hobbyist than from stores.

What I have come to realize from the numerous pms I've received on this topic, is that if the store you are purchasing from does not practice proper acclimation of the fish they receive or are purchasing their livestock at a discount, you are at greater risk of losing the fish or worse yet contaminating your entire system.

In this case, these fish were priced 40% lower than anyone else and the Yellow Tang was for sale within 24 hours of arriving at the store. This should have been an indication to me that if it's too good to be true then it probably isn't.

I'm happy to say that JD (Jeff) has offered me his Yellow and Regal Tang from a system he is planning on shutting down. (I hope I can fool my 5 year-old) ;)

Thanks JD and thanks to Pinoy, Tyler, Hookup, Bongo, Groupie etc..for the input, I think this sort of thread is very useful as a reminder to us but also educating newer visitors to the site.
110g saltwater/reef

Hookup

Just trying to provide a different perspective.

The LFS's are not always aware of the collection and transport practices of a supplier and it is our responsibility to inform them when this type of thing happens.  If over time it becomes a chronic issue, I'm sure that most LFS's would realize what is going on and do the responsible thing by droping the supplier.  If not, then get your torches and pitch forks ready... were ready for an on-line lynching!