Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Bluespot Jawfish Timeline

Started by Severum, October 06, 2009, 10:22:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Severum

Day 1: Bought fish
Day 2-14: Quarantined w/ secure lid
Day 3: Added to display w/ eggcrate lid
Day 4: Burrow made w/ 1 entrance
Day 5: 2nd entrance added to burrow
Day 6-10: Can't find fish, starfish now living in burrow. Suspect starfish foul play.
Day 11: Find a shrivelled-up bluespot jawfish body under the ledge of kitchen counter.

The moral of the story is: Jawfish will jump even through eggcrate. $125 bucks out with the garbage this morning.  :(
Regards,
Steve Everum

"We like people for their qualities, but love them for their defects."

120 gallon reef

Hookup

Sorry for that expensive loss... I feel your pain..

Vincenzo.

ggggahhhhh that sucks. That deff hurts the pockets

bongo

125$ plus you did QT and waited two weeks before putting it in the DT

that sucks!

thanks for sharing... I'll keep away from this fish

kole18

ouch 125$! hey i spend more money than you do just on a regular yellow headed jawfish, i'd probably bought 10 of those fish none of it captived survived in my tank and i guess same story as what you saying right now sorry to hear about your blue spot very nice fish and expensive too.

yellowtang

An expensive loss I will add!!!
I too had a jaw fish........not the $125.oo one,but
the $29.99 one......and after releasing him into the tank
I did not find him again.......
next time I saw him was beside my conections behind
my tank!!! >:( dried up. :o
lesson learned.......make sure your tank is well covered if trying
to keep this type of fish!!!. 8)
120g REEF Upgrading to a 180g soon
38G REEF

Severum

Thanks for the responses.

It was a decent sized fish so I didn't think he'd make it through the eggcrate holes. His jump must have been very precise.
Regards,
Steve Everum

120 gallon reef

mikerobart

Sorry about the loss of your fish! Definitely one I will not be trying.. I am all about the open top with no eggcrate.

Severum

Eggcrate is rather unsightly on top of a tank but I had no choice but to add it since my clownfish jumped out a year ago.
Regards,
Steve Everum

120 gallon reef

mikerobart

Definitely better than losing fish! I am keeping my fingers crossed and have not had a problem with anything in my 90g yet but I will definitely have to be careful.

Vincenzo.

again,

Ou.. E.. Ou.. Ah.. Ah, Tin.. Tang.. Walla.. Walla.. Bing.. Bang (repeat x 1)

Thats y i dont stock fish. Well only a yasha haze goby.

RoxyDog

Ouch, sorry to hear!

I use cross stitch plastic to cover open spots on the back of my canopy.  When I used to leave the glass tops half open in the summer on the old tank, I made a frame for the plastic to sit in and voila!  You can find it in clearish plastic or black I think, just not sure how much light it would block as I never had it under lights.  I did this after losing a goby or two.
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

gerryo

Partly why I got out of fresh water tanks a few years ago.

Had a 7in arawanna (knife fish), heard that they jumped a lot so I taped up all openings in back of my tank.  All around heater, filter, air hoses, etc.

One morning he was just gone.  Never found a carcass anywhere.  XYL and I searched for days.  NOTHING.

Any loss like that hurts.  Sorry for your loss.

Gerry

salvini55

My jawfish has only ever mad it as far as the overflow... Knock on wood. The blue spot is awsome, terrible loss.

holachicka

So sorry to hear about this :( He was super cute and the girls were really sad when I told them...  :'(

White Lightning

That's terrible.....it's so sad when fish decide to off themselves. Do you know if any of the local fish stores carry anti-depressants? These may help in preventing them from jumping. lol

salvini55

man i just jinxed myself hard! Found my yellow head on the floor this morning! sux

Severum

Awe man thats terrible! What kind of cover did you have on your tank?
Regards,
Steve Everum

120 gallon reef

salvini55

my canopy is all i have, the back is open but he always fell in the overflow if he tried the back. He was on the floor in front of the tank so my guess is he hit the door to the canopy and fell out cuz it hangs open about half an inch from getting warped. the pic kinda shows the light comming through. I need to get some kinda cover that goes over my lights... ill think of something. I guess ill get another one but i liked him the most of anything in the tank.

[attachment deleted by admin]

az

ouch Vafa, I think he was trying to go back in the qt.
:(

is your eggcrate sitting too close to the water?
AQUA VALLEY    
1158 Ogilvie Road, Ottawa

2016 Hours
Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri >> 12-7pm
Sat, Sun >> 11-5pm
Mon >> CLOSED
Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532  
www.aquavalley.ca

Ottawa's BIGGEST SALTWATER Selection

Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532     www.aquavalley.ca